changing private reference through external function?

Hey guys, quick question.
How would I be able to change a private variable from one class in an external function, something like a reference. Here is my code and it doesn't work but hopefully you can see what I'm trying to do.

//Player class
class Player
{
private:
   int dollars;
public:
   int getDollars();
};
Player::Player()
{
dollars = 50;
}
int Player::getDollars()
{
return dollars;
}

//External function
buy(int &dollar) //something is wrong here, I want to pass dollars as a ref but how?
{
 //bla bla bla you buy stuff
 //Everytime you buy something I want the value of dollars changed back in 
 //the player class to simulate the player spending his hard earned dollars
std::cout << dollar << std::endl; //this should print out current value of dollars in player class
}

//in main()
main()
{
Player Man;
buy(Man.getDollars());
}

I understand encapsulation and data hiding are in play here, I would like to know an effective way to change private data through an external reference function however.Is it possible? is it bad practice?
Last edited on
Yes it is possible - you need to return the variable by reference as well. Like this:
class Player {
    public:
        int& getDollars()       { return dollars; }
        int  getDollars() const { return dollars; }

private:
        int dollars;
};

You notice I provide two versions of the function - one for normal, and one for when you have a const version of your object. I could have returned a const reference, but I may as well just copy it considering its only an int.

As for if its bad practice: generally. Usually, the only thing that some outside of a class should know is its interface, what goes on underneath could change massively and it wouldn't care. In the case that you return a member variable, now everything knows that your Player class has a 'dollars' member, might base some code around that fact, and if you decide to change it then you have a slight problem on your hands.

If you find that the variable itself IS an important part of the interface, though, you could either have a reference obtaining function like I demonstrated above or you could just make the variable public, actually putting it into your interface.
#include <iostream>

class Player
{
private:
   int dollars;
public:
	Player(); //
	int getDollars();
	void reduceDollars(double percent) {dollars = dollars*percent/100; }; //
};

Player::Player() {
   dollars = 50;
}

int Player::getDollars() {
   return dollars;
}

void buy(Player param) { //
	param.reduceDollars(80); //
	std::cout << "reduced to 80 %" << std::endl;
	std::cout << "now, $ : " << param.getDollars();
	return;
}

main()
{
Player Man;
buy( Man); //
}
Thanks guys, I realize this question has answers much simpler than I anticipated.
Sometimes I feel that it is wrong to have functions that do exactly what I want them to do because I want to have small, well written code.

As for the classes thing, it does defeat the purpose of having a variable private if other functions and classes are going to have direct access over it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.