i need some help about the loop construct

i need to use the loop construct to write a program for the users to guess a secret character, which is k, (between lower case letter ā€˜aā€™ and ā€˜zā€™) stored inside the program. The user is allowed to have a maximum of 3 guesses. and need to show up 3 different kind of result, the first one:The user do not get the correct character and he/she had used up the quota (i.e., 3 guesses).second one: The user finally got the secret character after 3 guesses. and the last one is :The user used less than 3 guesses and got the secret number.

please helping to know how to write this program, and understand the logic in this question. thank you

there is my code:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main ()
{
char lowerChar = 'a';
char higherChar = 'z';
char secretChar = 'g';
char inputChar;
int choice = 3;
int index = 0;

while (choice--)
{
cout << "Please enter a letter between " << lowerChar << " and " << higherChar << " : ";
cin >> inputChar;
if ( inputChar < secretChar )
{
cout << "Incorrect! Please enter the letter bigger than " << inputChar << ".\n";

}
else if ( inputChar > secretChar )
{
cout << "Incorrect! Please enter the letter smaller than " << inputChar << ".\n";

}
else if ( inputChar = secretChar)
{
cout << "Congratulation! The input character equals to the secret character." << endl;

}

}

return 0;
}

But we I run it, I can't get these 3 different scenarios at the end:
1) sorry, you have used up 3 times! program terminated.
2)you have used 3 times to guess the secret letter. program terminated.
3)you have used 2 times to guess the secrt letter.

please help me develop it, thans

Last edited on
how have you done so far?
can we see your code?

just use random and static cast
Rough draft:
char secret = /*...*/
char user_guess;
int i = 3;
while(i--) {
    user_guess = /*...*/
    if (user_guess == secret) 
        break;
}
After the loop you have 3 possibilities:
1) user_guess != secret: user did not guess character
2) user_guess == secret and i == 0: user got correct character on the last guess
3) user_guess == secret and i != 0: user gueesed the character and still has guesses to spare.

Use some ifs to determine which case so you have.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.