How to convert "MM/DD/YYYY to "MonthName day, year" factoring leap years?

I've only had 4 classes about learning C++ so far so I am a very novice programmer. My prof. handed out this assignment today and I am completely lost. I have to write a program that only accepts a date b/w 1/1/1901 and 12/31/2099 from the keyboard and then convert it from "month/day/year" to "month-name day, year" and print the date in that new format. For example "11/12/2013" read from keyboard to "November 12, 2013". I also have to factor in leap years (which is about the only thing I know how to do right now). He said we must use both 'if' and 'switch' statements, and no arrays.

Each class I take with my prof. is 1.5 hrs lecture and 1.5 hrs practicing with C++. He jams so much information in each session it's hard to understand everything. Not to mention he has a very thick accent....

Last edited on
string month;
if(m == 1)
    month = "January";

if(m == 12)
    month = "December";

I assume you know how to read input and print output.
@shadowCODE

Yes, that makes sense. Now, another quick question. How do I get it to read the slashes when in input a date?
@shadowCODE

Never mind i figured that part out already. However, I'm still confused on how to generate an if statement for dates in between 1/1/1901 and 12/31/2099
bool datecheck(int m, int d, int y)
{
    if(m < 1 || m > 12)
    {
         cout<<"invalid month"<<endl;
         return false;
     }
     if(d < 0 || d > 31)
     {
         cout<<"Invalid day"<<endl;
         return false;
     }
     if(y < 1901 || year > 2099)
     {
          cout<<"invalid year"<<endl;
          return false;
     }

return true;
}

int main()
{
  //after input of date

if(datecheck(m,d,y))
       ..continue...
    else
       ..take proper action
}

If your prof. does not want functions, you can aswell just put the datecheck logic in main
its about slash position,

then convert first one or two character into monthName
Thank you!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.