Best book for beginners

Hello everyone, I am trying to decide which book to learn C++ and would like some recommendations and opinions. I'm not a complete beginner to programming, I have attempted to learn C++ twice in the past but life decided to get in the way both times, but I did get as far as making a simple text-based rpg that used classes and a little bit of manual memory management, although I've probably forgot some of the stuff. I just don't want a book where the first 200 or so pages are about variables and the real simple stuff that is for people that never programmed anything before.

Anyways, The books I have been thinking about are:
C++ Primer,
C++ Primer Plus,
Programming Principles and Practice using C++

I also keep reading mixed opinions of C++ Primer as whether or not it's for beginners, but since I'm not a complete beginner it might be alright for me to be able to understand it?

Also, any other recommendations are welcome.

Thanks.
Programming Principles and Practice using C++ is classy.
you can also try,
C++11 For Programmers 2nd ed. Deitel
Professional C++ 2nd Edition. Wrox
> I also keep reading mixed opinions of C++ Primer as whether or not it's for beginners,
> but since I'm not a complete beginner it might be alright for me to be able to understand it?

Yes.

Other books to consider: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/147132/#msg773039
Last edited on

Other books to consider: http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner/147132/#msg773039

You posted Accelerated C++ there, I noticed it's from the year 2000, I suppose that shouldn't be too much of an issue? It's also rather short (352 pages) while just about every other book is around 1000.

Also, is there much of a difference between C++ Primer 4th and 5th editions? I know the 5th is supposed to be C++11 but I've read the first chapter in each and they are the same.
My guess is it's just the same but with an appendix of the new features or something?
Last edited on
> Accelerated C++ there, I noticed it's from the year 2000, I suppose that shouldn't be too much of an issue?

It does not cover C++11. Though nothing in the book is invalidated by C++11.

> It's also rather short (352 pages) while just about every other book is around 1000.

Yes; it doers convey a lot in a few words. A succinct, high-quality introduction to programming in C++.

> is there much of a difference between C++ Primer 4th and 5th editions?

For the most part, the fifth edition is a complete rewrite.
Comparing the 4th and 5th edition side by side shows that the authors (again I suspect that is mostly Barbara) have taken the text of the 4th edition and reworked it. The second thing is that the code and content has been completely revised to make use of the changes that C++11 introduced.
http://accu.org/index.php?module=bookreviews&func=search&rid=1848

So between Primer and Accelerated, which would you personally recommend?
C++ Primer 5th Edition. I suppose C++11 coverage tilts the balance in its favour.
Primer it is then.

Thanks.
Hi. I've heard that C++ Primer is a good book. C++11 is indeed worth covering=)
Just to clear up what I said about C++ Primer 4th and 5th editions, after reading the table of contents for both, they are very different. Just the first chapter was pretty much exactly the same.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.