Making Apps

Hello i want to learn to create app's but i read somewhere it's best to learn C++ first or it is the easiest way. What do you think is best: To start with C++ then go to Objective C or can i go directly to Objective C? And if i have to learn C++ first how far do i have learn? do i need to be an expert or just learn about the basics?
Thanks
Last edited on
It depends on what app you want to make. If you want your app to run on both iOS and Android, then your best option is to probably not learn Objective C at all and just maintain a common C++ codebase.
I want to focus on IOS right now. Should i then go directly to Objective C?
Last edited on
If you have plans to later move onto android I do not see why you want to learn Objective C. Unless you have no plans whatsoever to support Android, then I'd stick with C++. I guess learning Objective C couldn't hurt however.

If you're going to develop for iOS you should be sure that you have a proper development machine (Mac OSX based machines only)
closed account (z05DSL3A)
Here is another opinion...

Again if your plan is iOS, and assuming you have the correct hardware to do so, then start with C not C++. Most of the good books on Objective-C start you of with the basics of C anyway and a good understanding of C will help you in other areas if you decide to change direction later on.

I would recommend looking at:
Objective-C Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide (2nd Edition)
BY AARON HILLEGASS AND MIKEY WARD
I have been learning a little bit C++, would that not help me at all or? Was it waste of time then? And can i start reading
, with no C experience only C++, are you teaching you C there also?
Last edited on
Objective-C is a pure superset of C meaning that any C code can transition to Objective-C easily. If you have learnt a bit of C++ it may not have been a waste of time but does depend on what you have learnt.

If you start with the Big Nerd Ranch book, it will start you with the basics of C. Have a read of the 'look inside' for the book at Amazon (or get the Kindle Sample), see if you get on with the book.

While you check out the Objective-C book take a look at as well
iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
BY CHRISTIAN KEUR, AARON HILLEGASS, AND JOE CONWAY
What i have learnt in C++ is:
Loops
Functions
Arrays
Pointer
(And a little bit about the heap memory)
etc.

But i will definitely take a look at these books and most likely buy them, but is there a sequence i have to read them?
first then
iOS Programming: The Big Nerd Ranch Guide
or does it not matter?
You will probably be fine with what you have already learnt. You may have learnt a few things that are not relevant to C, or are slightly different in C.

You would need to learn the language before you apply it to the platform, so you would Start with Objective-C Programming and move onto iOS Programming. You may feel happy starting the second book while still going through the first.
Okay and the Objective C book is teaching me the C i need to learn for learning Objective C right?
Yes, the first 80 pages or so are the basics of C. This may be the same things that you have learnt to do in C++ but is would still be worth reading to make sure you now the differences.

It then moves on to teach you Objective-C and some of the foundation library things.

It then covers some basics of iOS and Mac OS event driven programming.

Then does some more Advanced Objective-C and C.
Okay thanks :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.