No Suitable Constructor Exists

I am getting this error message and so far it's the only error in my program which is a game. I am hoping to get some insight as to what to do as this is quite frustrating and I wanna wrap this program up.

no suitable constructor exists to convert from "Stringword [19]" to "std::basic_string<char, std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char>>"

I declared this at the beginning of the program which it is my understanding should take care of what's above, however, I still get this error message:

//create type to make an array of arrays to place strings in arrays
typedef char Stringword[7];//each word is an array of up to 7 chars
Stringword WORD[19];//string of 20-1 words

//These are my function declarations:

void readFile();
//postconditions:
//read a word from the file into the string WORD.
int Play_Game(string WORD);
//postconditions: 
//keeps track of and returns: misses, when guess is incorrect, repeated guess of same character, and when guess is correct
//display stars and expose letters to replace stars as correct letters are guessed.

//The issue is being highlighted in this function call for WORD:

Play_Game(WORD);//run game 
line 10: Do you mean Stringword instead of std::string? std::string has no constructor that takes a Stringword array.
Last edited on
I made Stringword up. It's a type I made up to make an array of chars to put in an array of words. I hope that makes sense...I got the idea from this link http://www.eastcoastgames.com/cpp/chapter4.html. however the way I implemented my gameplay is quite different. Yes in the function definition I did change string WORD to Stringword WORD at one point and that introduced a bunch of other problems...so I know I am missing a pretty important concept somewhere or the program would at least compile.
It's better if you keep your posts in your thread rather than IM.
It can help others and others can help you.

You're trying to use Stringword and std::string interchangably and they are not interchangeable. Stringword is a 2D array of chars, while std::string is a single instance of a C++ string.

Just get rid Stringword and use std::string. Stringword provides no benefit to your code.

After changing Stringword to std:;string, the problem I see is that you're confused as to whether WORD is an array or a simple string.

Note: Following line numbers refer to code posted via IM.

Line 18,57: Play_Game is declared and implemented to take one string by value. At line 30, you call Play_Game attempting to pass an array. This is not permitted. I'm assuming you intended to pass Play_Game a single word.

It's generally poor style to use the same variable name as a global array (WORD) and and a local argument (WORD) where it's a single class instance. It confuses the reader (me).

Line 48: Your loop assumes your file will never have more than 19 words in it.
Have you learned vectors yet? A vector for words would eliminate having a hard limit on the number of words in your file and avoids confusion with how WORD is used within Play_Game(). This also eliminates the restriction on how long words can be since your typedef limited them 6 characters (+1 for trailing null).

Line 50: You're treating WORD here as an array (which the global is). Would be better to name this words. The plural indicating it is a collection or array.

Line 63: Serves no purpose. Is hidden by subsequent declaration of SOLUTION at line 66.

I personally dislike variable names that are all caps. The usual convention is that all caps are used for defines or constants, but this is purely a matter of style.

Edit: code removed at OP's request.
Last edited on
Thanks for looking that over!, ill work on it this weekend .
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.