Mentorship

Hello,

My name is Jae Kim and I am currently studying c++ on my own (I am currently studying "Jumping Into C++" by Alex Allain and "Fundamentals of C++ Programming" by Richard Halterman). As I have been studying (which has been about a month now), I have been doing some research in order to determine the best ways to become a better programmer. People had suggested great things; however, the most valued suggestion, it seemed to me, has been to have a mentor.

I do not necessarily want a tutor, persay, but rather a mentor, namely, an experienced programmer who finds joy in seeing his or her mentee grow and accomplish great things and to make a world a better place. A person who will invest in me, and I, him or her.

I understand that it might be a little weird to be asking on this forum, but if anyone is interested, please post. I would love to speak with you! Anyhow have a great rest of your day.

P.S., I work extremely hard. So, if you do decide to become my mentor, I will commit and be disciplined.
I wouldn't mind helping you understand programming concepts friend, I too wanted a mentor when I started but couldn't find one.

PM me, I am looking forward to working with you. :)

Although I am not a C++ master (Far from it) I should be able to teach enough to get you on your feet. Also don't be afraid to ask, if you don't ask, you don't get!
Me neither! Although I am not a "C++ master" either, I am willing to help. I have been programming in C++ for a couple years. Advice I have it use multiple books/sources and type out the examples. That's one great way to learn! Like megatron 0 said, ask questions :)
We could all journey together on the path of creative thinking. :)

I am not sure what stage you are at, CS Student (You don't have enough posts for me to decipher your level), hopefully, we know different things and we can all strengthen each other.
I'm still in college. I'm actually a tutor for C++ in college as well. And yes, 2 minds are better than 1. I feel like I have a bit of C++ experience under my belt. Lets go forward!
I'd be happy to help too. I've been programming professionally for almost 30 years, most of it in C++. The best thing I offer is real-world experience.
Thank you all for responding and I am amazed at how many people are willing to help. Thank you guys. If you do not receive a message from me, know that I am still extremely grateful for your willingness. Thank you and have a wonderful day!
Whoops. Looks like I just missed this. I'm happy to help as well. I'm a CS student (a junior) with 3 years of formal C++ classes under my belt. More than anything, just ask questions and show your passion!
I would be down for turning this into some organized type of mentor/mentee system. I'm also sure there are websites that offer this type of mentorship too, no? I can't remember the names though. The guys at /r/learnprogramming were pushing it for a while. I'll look into it when I get a chance.

I know enough about good modern C++ to teach beginners, and I'm approaching the intermediate spectrum as far as my skills go. I've been programming in C++ for some six months but I've put a lot of time into it - consistently upwards of 40 hours a week reading through books and practicing.

Anybody interested, feel free to shoot me a PM. :-)
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.