New to C++, have no idea what I am doing

So, I'm really sorry if this is the wrong place, or a bad question, I am new here, and to c++. In my programming class, I am behind and am completely lost. What I need help with is making this program. I really have no clue as to what I am doing. The program is:

1. Write a program that consists of a main()
function and one or more other functions. One of the
functions must be called void printLetter( char,
short, char ); where the formal parameters are

void printLetter( char symbol, short height, char letter );

where

symbol is a character such as '*';
height specifies the number of symbol characters
that compose the height; and,
letter specifies a letter of the alphabet.

The printLetter() function prints a letter with
the height specified using the specified symbol. For
example,

symbol = '*'
height = '5'
letter = 'c'

the function will print

The width will always be 7. Make the program
continuously prompt for the input of the above data
until a -1 is input for the height. This should be
written using C++ syntax.

Can someone show me what it would look like, or at least help me with it. I know it has to have letters A, B, C, and D, and it has to be stored withing the program. Sorry if I don;t make any sense, and thank you.
When is this due by? It sounds like a tricky project.. and it can be done in so many ways..
It isn't due until next week.
I think the best way to tackle this is to look for patterns. Consider A and B for example and the height for both of them is 5. Given that the width is a constant, the upward stick and the downward stick(| and | represent the height) will be the same for A and B. The only the thing you have to accommodate is where the horizontal stick(the width) will start and stop and where it will be placed. The last thing you need to make sure is that whatever height you give the program, it will correctly output the letter no matter what. These are just my observations of me trying to tackle this problem.
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.