Fastest cross-platform FTP-library?

Hello

I'm in need of an extremely fast cross-platform FTP-library.
- SFML didn't worked because the connection is to slow for this application.
- LibCurl could be an option, but the code examples ain't clear.

By theory, I only need a function to connect, and log-in. I don't need to upload anything. Only connecting and logging-in. :)

Thanks for reading,
Niely
SFML didn't worked because the connection is to slow for this application.

But SFML allows you to set the timeout, it's the third parameter when you call "sf::Ftp.connect()". Am I misreading your issue here?
^The third-parameter is that it'll disconnect if you don't succeed making a connection after a X amount of seconds. :)

Could it be possible to make an FTP connection (only connect and log-in) with only using Sockets? Not the FTP; I just saw the sockets are faster.
Last edited on
^The third-parameter is that it'll disconnect if you don't succeed making a connection after a X amount of seconds. :)

Based on this statement I now know what you are referring to when you say "... the connection is too slow for this application.". I thought you just meant that you were getting a time out error when you tried to log in and that you didn't know where to set this variable in your code, my bad.

The first step is to of course verify that the speed issue is not simply due to the connection between the sites. If you are going across the internet to a third party box then verifying this conclusively can be hairy, but if you own both devices then it should be as simple as testing the data transfer rate a few times using another protocol. Ping is an OK method to use*, but it precludes the ability to test other factors that might be involved such as disk write time (although you said that you only want to log in so this may be an irrelevant variable to you).

Could it be possible to make an FTP connection (only connect and log-in) with only using Sockets?

Yes, but I doubt that you'll see a noticeable performance increase.

*: I would recommend 'psping' from SysInternals on a Windows platform if you do not own the endpoint.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.