why strtok changes original string?

I write function to find out how many occurrences are in string. I use strtok function as I don't know other way how to do it. Now I notices that the strtok replaces occurences of ';' delimiter by null pointer. I dismayed because later I want use the original str string to strtoken again, but in the case that there are no semicolons anymore, I got only first token and the other are not reachable. So my question is which this function does the change to original string I just don't understand sense of it and it seems to me like a sh*tty strok function... haha. But maybe I just did not understood something here?

int getArgWordCount(char * str, SETTINGS * settings )
{
    if (!settings->loadSpecifiedKernels)
        return 0;

const char s[2] = ";";
    char *token;
    token = strtok(str, s); // read first
    int count = strlen(token)?1:0;

while ( token != NULL )
    {
          printf( " %s\n", token );
          count++;
          token = strtok(NULL, s); // READ NEXT TOKEN: char *
    }
return count;
}
why strtok changes original string?
To be able to resume execution and return parts of the string without addition allocations (standard C function do not do additional allocations, they work only on provided buffers). It is simpliest and fastest way to do that.

You should consider using strpbrk and strspn/strcspn to implement non-intrusive reentrant tokenisation.
http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/string/byte/strpbrk
http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/string/byte/strspn
http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/string/byte/strcspn
Thank you. I have corrected my function and works great. However it is not still clear to me how to parse the string. Should I first copy the original string with strcpy and then parse the copy? This seems to me like only solution. I think that it's regardless whether I copy the string outside of the std function or inside my own function. This will not effect performance at all, huh?

Or maybe I should let it rename the separators for null character and read the string with strspn next time,
Last edited on
If you are using strtok() and not the function I gave you, then yes, make a copy first.

Copying strings always costs. You'll have to run your program and see if it noticeably affects performance.

You could just use the function I gave you.
Finally I corrected the program., I have no idea why Duoas recommended me those functions. There is much simpler and faster approach.

/* Return count of parsed items */
int getArgWordCount(char * str, SETTINGS * settings )
{
    if (!settings->loadSpecifiedKernels)
        return 0;

unsigned int count = 0;
    char* pCopy = str; // just copy pointer
    // char* sep = ";"; // This would be for char* (word or string separator)
    do {
       /* This would be for char*: */
       // pCopy = strposBreak(pCopy, sep); // find separator
       // if (pCopy) pCopy += strSameLength(pCopy, sep); // skip separator
       /* This is for char: */
        pCopy = strchr(pCopy, settings->separator);
        pCopy++;
       ++count; // increment word count
    } while(pCopy && *pCopy);

return count;
}

strchr() finds the separator character ';' or ':' depended how it is defined in settings. Then just pCopy++ to skip separator and then increment count.
Last edited on
If character does not exist in the rest of the string, your program will try to dereference 0x1 pointer and can crash.
For example line "first;second" with separator ';'.
First iteration works fine, but on second line 15 results in null pointer, line 16 increments it. And on line 18 pCopy results in true and then *pCopy is evaluated. *(0x1) is not valid.
I have no idea why Duoas recommended me those functions.

That tokenizer has more features / is more generic / does error checking, but apparently you did not notice or need them.

Questions for you:

Is 0+1 true or false, and who says that memory address 0x00000001 is null?
How many words are in ""?
How many words are in ";"?
How many words are in "foobar"?
MiiNiPa:
I have notice the problem later, when I finished interaction and tried to think out why it crashes. You noticed me about the NULL pointer, so I added condition.
if (pCopy) pCopy++;
Thanks.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.