Help With Figuring Out Why C++ Is Best Choice

I am relatively new to the programming world, and am looking for someone to help me understand why C++ would be the best language for the company I work for to use if they are trying to do the following:

-Communicate with Programmable logic controllers
-display this Industrial PC data in an appealing way to customers
-create functions that will allow a user to start/stop/restart an industrial PC using a push-button
-add new services to the website easily

I apologize if this seems very broad, but the company I am working for wants to know why C++ is a better option for building a better version of the website they currently have. The one we currently have is written in Java, and the code is quite messy.

I am a student intern, so this knowledge is beneficial to me in more than one way
Hiya,
I wouldn't use C++ or java to build a website, or add services to that website. nor would i chose either of those languages to display data 'in appealing ways' :)

the company I am working for wants to know why C++ is a better option

So who's told them C++ is a better option?
Last edited on
can you explain your reasoning??

They have a lot of programmers here who think C++ is the best option because it is WORA, and doesn't have any dependencies---if I'm correct.

Also, c++ is safe, and is efficient, and is cross platform.
'Communicate with Programmable logic controllers' - c++ would be good for this.

However:

html, php, javascript, css, asp mvc: these are the kinda technologies i'd consider when building a website.

what's wora? write once run anywhere? Surely java fits this bill too? in fact wasn't this coined by Sun?

The one we currently have is written in Java, and the code is quite messy.

It's possible to get messy c++ code as well you know. I can send you some of mine if you don't believe me :)

Pick the right tools for the job. I wouldn't use a hammer to put a screw in. In the same way I wouldn't use c++ (or java) to build a website.

c++ is safe

Now that is an interesting statement.
Last edited on
C is probably a better choice for programming embedded devices, solely because there are probably better compilers for it than C++ ones.
c++ isn't the only language we are using!...we are using c++ for the PLC communication portion, but using a bit of xml through Qt to create the actual website. We are also using some Json...

so, in regards to the PLC portion of the website...why is c++ the clear favorite when it comes to doing this??
There's no problem using C++ for the web(site/sever/service)

You can easily find tools/libraries that helps you and not falling back behind other (like php/asp):

http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt
http://pocoproject.org/
http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~engelen/soap.html

and of course boost

mutexe wrote:
Pick the right tools for the job.
Yes, there are tons of libs/tools for C++ to accomplish the required task
mutexe wrote:
In the same way I wouldn't use c++ (or java) to build a website.
No, I have built HTML websites with C++ and it is as easy as you make it.

C++ is independent from the moods of Microsoft/Oracle
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.