What to do and how to do it?

I'm a high school student, and I wanna move away from my parents. Working as a bartender is an option, but I would prefer to code for living.

However, I don't have any skills except C/C++, and when I asked a guy I know that works as a programmer for a long time about it, he told me that I can basically do nothing with C++ alone. That killed some of my spirit, you know.

But I don't know how to earn any money with programming. What skills should I learn that would be useful in doing any profitable work in the real world?
Any information is wanted - the more details the better.

Thank you!
He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Also, if you have a good understanding of C++, you can easily pick up C#. Making form applications is a breeze in C# and presents plenty of opportunity. From there you can move onto WPF applications in C# which are a lot more complicated, but have a lot more capabilities. I believe I read somewhere that Visual Studio was even made as a WPF application using C#/C++ but I could be mistaken.

I would recommend trying to learn how to work with servers/clients as that can always be useful. I wouldn't plan on moving out any time soon, but that is just because from what you posted it seems like you'd need to know quite a bit more before a business would consider hiring you. I could be wrong though.
Last edited on
Don't know what skills are in demand where you are, one possible way of finding out, is to look at a job search website, and see what skills employers are looking for.
Don't be discouraged, I know a lot of professionals who have only one programming language. Perhaps what your friend meant was that you need to add some specific application domain skills, e.g. networking, databases (oracle), there's an endless list here, but find a group of 4 or 5 that appear in a lot of job adverts for jobs you think you might like doing.
Build up a portfolio of these skills around your C++ ( your C++ also has to be very good to start with).
Another language is generally a good idea, but you can add that as you go along. IMO, in order to do a good job, it's better to be good at one language than terrible at several.
Where I'm from, not having a university degree is usually a huge obstacle to finding work, but it's not insurmountable. You just have to be persistent and creative about how you get your foot in the door. Once there, your skills will speak for you.
Good luck.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.