Question about learning from books.

This is more of a general question, but I have recently started reading the book programming Principles and Practices by Bjarne Stroustrup and there's something I really don't understand. Why are there no answers to any of the questions, or drills, or exercices? How am I supposed to learn if I don't know the answer to the questions? I feel kind of silly asking this, but I just dont see the point of doing all the exercices if I never know the correct answers.
I learned programming from the very same book. I'm actually glad that there are no answers to the questions, because otherwise you'd be temped to look at the answer. The try this, drills, and exercises from the book are based on what you've read so far. The whole point of this is for you to develop your problem solving abilities. You learn when you solve the problem by yourself. Also don't forget to do the terms also, it really does help. You will soon see that you'll be learning way more on the topic that the chapter was about from the exercise than you did while you were reading that chapter.

The bottom line is if you really want to learn programming properly, do absolutely everything in the book, read everything, do everything, don't skip anything!
Last edited on
Drills and excersizes do not have "correct" answer. You solve excersize when you fulfill its requirements. It is up to you to test your program and decide if it works like asked.
For example I can give you 4 distinct ways to "create and fill a vector of 100 elements from standard input" without thinking much, all of which are "correct".
If you think that there is more to the excersize or that you solved it in suboptimal way, you can always ask to review your code and point out things which are considered bad style. Feedback is important in learning and it is one of the things book cannot provide.

About questions: you are supposed to do them University way: not just write down answer you think is correct and check the answer, but prove that it is correct using references to book and other sources you are using.

Example:
Q: 1. What is a computation?
A: It is act of producing output based on provided input.
P:
By computation we simply mean the act of producing some outputs based on some inputs, such as producing the result (output) 49 from the argument (input) 7 using the computation (function) square. (4.1 p. 91)

Last edited on
The drills on that book is advance. I mean there is some question there that should be in the next chapter
The drills on that book is advance
I disagree. They do not ask anything aside from following directions using already learned material. It is possible to solve it easier using later material, but it is not required. Excersizes are more advanced and require actual thinking and research, but are solvable using already learned material.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.