why does \n vs endl work differntly with setw output

This code works perfectly but if you were to use the \n in the setw it will mess up the output format anyone have a good explanation why?

heres an example if you switch out these two codes:

cout << left << setw(10) << "Names" << setw(10) << "Status" << setw(10) << "Hours" << setw(10) << "Sales" << setw(10) << "Wages" << setw(10) << "Pay\n\n";

#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
using namespace std;

string name,type,hours,sales,wages,pay;

int main()
{
cout << "name:\n";
cin >> name;
cout << endl;
cout << "type:\n";
cin >> type;
cout << endl;
cout << "hours:\n";
cin >> hours;
cout << endl;
cout << "sales:\n";
cin >> sales;
cout << endl;
cout << "wages: \n";
cin >> wages;
cout << endl;
cout << "pay:\n";
cin >> pay;

cout << "Employee Pay Report \n\n";
cout << left << setw(10) << "Names" << setw(10) << "Status" << setw(10) << "Hours" << setw(10) << "Sales" << setw(10) << "Wages" << setw(10) << "Pay" << endl << endl;
cout << left << setw(10) << name << setw(10) << type << setw(10) << hours << setw(10) << sales << setw(10) << wages << setw(10) << pay << endl << endl << endl;

}
That's because '\n' is a character. It's counted towards the total length of the string you're outputting. That's why "Pay" is bumped to the left by two spaces. If you don't want that, you could always do << setw(10) << "Pay" << "\n\n";.
but whats weird is that this, the following output:
cout << left << setw(10) << name << setw(10) << type << setw(10) << hours << setw(10) << sales << setw(10) << wages << setw(10) << pay << endl << endl << endl;

is the one that's affected by the \n\n

not this one:

cout << left << setw(10) << "Names" << setw(10) << "Status" << setw(10) << "Hours" << setw(10) << "Sales" << setw(10) << "Wages" << setw(10) << "Pay\n\n";

does it also bump this over as well because its a character even though its part of a new "cout"

when the code is put together like this:

cout << "Employee Pay Report \n\n";

sry i tried ran the program to try and paste the print out but it wont let me/ or i dont know how

Please put all of your code between code tags <> so its more readable.

http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/jEywvCM9/
If you're going to keep posing code, use the [code][/code] tags. Also, I'm not sure what you're asking. As for the way this works: cout << setw(10)<< "Pay\n\n";.

setw: "I'm supposed to make sure that the next thing to be output takes up 10 spaces!"
setw: "Oh, it's a string! I wonder how many characters it has?"
setw: "...I count 5 characters."
setw: "Cout! Print 5 spaces and then this string!"
cout: "OK... printing ' ', ' ', ' ', ' ', ' '..."
cout: "Printing 'P', 'a', 'y'...."
cout: "Printing... wait, this is '\n'! This doesn't get printed!"
cout: "'\n' tells me to start printing on a new line."
cout: "OK, new line! What, another '\n'? Fine, new line again!"
cout is an object.

<< is an operator that returns a reference to object on the left hand side.

This:

cout << a << b << c;
has the exact same meaning as:

((cout << a) << b) << c;

First (cout << a) runs, the << operator returns cout so what happens next is (cout << b) and then (cout << c);

So it doesn't matter how many times you mention cout.

This is still the same, no matter what a, b and c are:
cout << a;
cout << b;
cout << c;
Alright thanks, and ill check that link out
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.