Version of C++

Hallo,

new here.

I'm an experienced user of Turbo Pascal 7.
( robot/machines: lot of math like Forward/Backward Kinematics,
and 3D.

Also have been busy with Algorithmes on bitmaps. To find/locate
parts in an bitmap. ( grabbed from a cam located near robotarm ).
This was done in Delphi.

No I got a nice pci-framegrabber and some small ( black/white )
pcb-ccd-cams.

With it came a big libary with C++ algorithmes Visual Studio.

So, a good point to step into C++ ( Visual Studio).

Here's the question!

First I want to get familair with C++
but straight under DOS, like Turbo Pascal 7.
I got a dedicated DOS-pc.

What's the version I gotta use?
I quess 2.0 but not sure.

For thos who are interested, see my projeckts so far:
( robotarm, mill/cnc by written in Turbo Pascal 7 )

https://www.facebook.com/SurroundingMars

Thanks! Marcel

Firstly, I am impressed. How are you browsing the internet on a DOS-PC????
I recommend installing a more modern operating system as a first step though. There are plenty of free linux operating systems that are command line only. Even if you find a version of linux that has a GUI desktop, the GUI can be removed safely from the system because it is not part of the linux kernel. If you did have a linux OS, a c++ compiler would be very easy to install with a single command. If you had a more modern Windows OS, I would recommend tdm-gcc.
http://tdm-gcc.tdragon.net/
But seeing as how you are stuck in the past with MS-DOS... I used Turbo C++, back when I first started programming. It worked on DOS as I recall. I should warn you that that compiler is seriously outdated and non-standard, but it should help you grasp the basics of C++.
All he said was he has a dedicated DOS PC, why would you assume that's what he's using?
What's the version I gotta use?
I quess 2.0 but not sure.
Version of what?

First I want to get familair with C++
but straight under DOS
Sadly I cannot suggest anything. Language implemented by most compiler in DOS era is not C++ and works differently from standard C++ in many areas. You can try GCC for DOS: http://personal.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/R.Bowden/C/dos-gcc/index.htm which is best you can got (works on DOS and has relation to actual C++)
Hi,

Thanks for answers.

Of caurse I'm using modern pc with W7 etc...
As written above, I've experience with Delphi.

My robot and cnc are nice to prgramm with a DOS pc, just straight to the machines!\

(DOS pc incl. W98, but straight DOS, not a DOS command box in Windows)
( I'm using just some easy small/thin client pc's with a compact flash disk as HDD )

To contineu:

The thought is, to get familair just with C++ ( so I'm not directly involded in the world of Visual Studio etc) and later contineuing by replacing my Delphi by Visual Studio.

@ MIINIPaa:
Version of C++ under DOS.
So far as I understand, after googling, is version C++ 2.0.

Thanks.

Last edited on
So far as I understand, after googling, is version C++ 2.0.
There is no C++ 2.0. There is multitude of different compilers (Visual Studio, GCC, Clang, ICC...). There are compilers which folows standard and those who are not. And I advise against any of the compilers created in 90th, as they are pre-standard, at that time each compiler rolled own language version incompatible with each other.

And do not touch Turbo C++. This is awful thing which still used in some third-rate schools. After using it students have to learn C++ again to actually use it in modern world.

I posted a link to port of GCC to MS-DOS which is the best you can get if you want to use C++ and not C-with-classes-incompatible-with-every-other-compiler.
Last edited on
Thanks you all!

Gonna try it the coming days!

I'll report my progress!
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.