Misunderstanding argument passing

Hello, I'm a beginner in programming and studying the C++ programming language using the book : Programming principles and practice using C++. Today I'm here because I was trying to write some random code to understand them better, so I decided to write a very simple class just for try :

class Room {
public:
	string name;

};

Then I decided to create a simple function using a Room object as argument :
void print(Room current) {

cout << "call of a function\n"; 

}

But then in main function I tried to pass an int argument to the print function expecting a compiler error, instead, the program compiles but I don't get the string : "call of a function\n.

int main()
{

int a = 100; 
	move(a); 

}

What i can't understand is why the compiler doesn't report me that there is a call to an undeclared function in main. I defined the print function but it takes a Room argument, not an int argument, so there is no function called print wich takes an int argument, so I expected to get a compiler error . Am i wrong ? I know that a function definition must have the same types, both return and argument types as we use in our file. Why the compiler doesn't report me a call to an undeclared function ? It has something to do with class ?
Last edited on
What i can't understand is why the compiler doesn't report me that there is a call to an undeclared function in main

Under normal circumstances you'd be right, and this would produce a compiler error... however....

This is the problem with using namespace std;. When you do that, you dump EVERYTHING in the std namespace into the global namespace, not just the stuff you intended.

Here, std::move is an actual function... which, when you do using namespace std... becomes move. That is the function you are calling. So there is no error.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.