Question about a setting in Visual Studio Professional 2012

In my Introduction to C++ Programming class, we are using Visual Studio Professional 2012. One of the things my instructor told us to do was to go through Project > Properties > Configuration Properties > Linker > System > Change SubSystem to Console after creating a Visual C++, C++ File (.cpp) project. From what I understand, this option is enabled so that if your program fails, it doesn't just close on you, you get the "Press any key to continue" line. Is that the only reason you would want that option enabled? I'm trying to figure out why instead of getting a 100 for my code project I get a 90 because I didn't enable that option, especially if that option means nothing outside of this program.
Last edited on
From what I understand, this option is enabled so that if your program fails, it doesn't just close on you, you get the "Press any key to continue" line.

Close. It is enabled so that you get the "Press any key to continue" line and are able to see the output of your program before the console closes any time you run the code without the "start debugging" option, regardless of success or failure.

Is that the only reason you would want that option enabled?

You were instructed to enable it. That seems like a pretty good reason.

I'm trying to figure out why instead of getting a 100 for my code project I get a 90 because I didn't enable that option, especially if that option means nothing outside of this program.

Inability to follow instruction is a good reason to lose points, isn't it?
Yes, but also, I was told no matter what, the program needs to work, which is does 100%. That step wasn't part of my instructions, it was just something I was told to do for what you said. So I think I have a legitimate argument. But besides that, I just want to know if this in anyway effects how a program runs or not.
Last edited on
That step wasn't part of my instructions, it was just something I was told to do for what you said.

Then perhaps it isn't why you lost points. I'm at a loss as to why you'd be asking about this here, anyway. We don't have anything to do or any familiarity with the grading in your class.

But besides that, I just want to know if this in anyway effects how a program runs or not.

For programs which will run in a console anyway, there is no other effect.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.