Cannot build anything

Hello, I got a new computer over summer and I'm starting another semester of c++ programming in the fall, so I wrote a basic program to help refresh my memory before the class starter. I am using Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2012. My OS is Windows 7. Nothing builds, not even the basic 'Hello World' program.

When I try to build this:

#include <iostream>
#include stdafx.h
using namespace std;

int main()
{
	double hours, rate, pay;

cout << "How many hours did you work? ";
	cin >> hours;

cout << "How much do you get paid per hour? ";
	cin >> rate

pay = hours * rate;

cout << "You have earned $" << pay << endl;
	return 0;
}

I get this :
Warning 1 warning C4627: '#include <iostream>': skipped when looking for precompiled header use c:\users\chris\documents\visual studio 2012\projects\consoleapplication5\consoleapplication5\consoleapplication5.cpp 1 1 ConsoleApplication5

Error 2 error C2006: '#include' : expected a filename, found 'identifier' c:\users\chris\documents\visual studio 2012\projects\consoleapplication5\consoleapplication5\consoleapplication5.cpp 2 1 ConsoleApplication5

Error 3 error C1083: Cannot open include file: '': No such file or directory c:\users\chris\documents\visual studio 2012\projects\consoleapplication5\consoleapplication5\consoleapplication5.cpp 2 1 ConsoleApplication5

The class starts on monday and I would really like to figure out what is going on.
I think you have to get rid of stdafx.h which is a precompiled header file, so just delete it in your code. When you're making a project in visual studio you need to check empty project so stdafx.h isnt included.
Last edited on
If I try to compile without stdafx.h I get this error:
Error 2 error C1010: unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header. Did you forget to add '#include "stdafx.h"' to your source? c:\users\chris\documents\visual studio 2012\projects\consoleapplication5\consoleapplication5\consoleapplication5.cpp 19 1 ConsoleApplication5

edit: I skimmed through your post too fast, one second.
Fixed that but also ran into this problem when I try to build hello world:

'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\ConsoleApplication6\Debug\ConsoleApplication6.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp110d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr110d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
The program '[6128] ConsoleApplication6.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).

And it won't show the command window
Last edited on
@Zyzz

Actually, #include stdafx.h has to be on the first line, but it also must be in quotes, as #include "stdafx.h"
If you don't want to have use precompiled headers, I'm fairly certain there's an option somewhere to disable them. Can't remember where, though; been a while since I've used VS.
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
@NT3

I rarely use precompiled headers when starting new VS projects, and still VS2015 insists on adding the files and the #include to the solution. It is part of the project wizard template apparently.
NT3, that was one problem I had that I think I accidentally enabled while trying to fix the main issue im having, which I posted above.

Everything now compiles but when it builds, the windows command processor doesn't appear. It just runs, opens for .1 second, closes and says this:

'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Users\Chris\Documents\Visual Studio 2012\Projects\ConsoleApplication6\Debug\ConsoleApplication6.exe'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\kernel32.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\KernelBase.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcp110d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
'ConsoleApplication6.exe' (Win32): Loaded 'C:\Windows\SysWOW64\msvcr110d.dll'. Symbols loaded.
The program '[6128] ConsoleApplication6.exe' has exited with code 0 (0x0).
You have to run without debugging. Go to the Debug tab and click "Start without debugging" or use the key shortcut.
Last edited on
You see you forgot the semicolon at the end of line 13, don't you?
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.