Strange behaviour of compiler - project didn't want to build again

Greetings all,

I have a strange situation with GCC ARM Embedded compiler, which I would like to understand as a beginner in programming. I hope the issue is general enough for someone in the forum to be able to help.

I was using a template project file which used to build and executee perfectly. But recently I reinstalled the OS and thus also the programming IDE and GCC ARM compiler. But now the build was unsuccessful, it showed undefined references to two functions. But I did NOT change any code or any project files! After adding definitions for the two functions it of course built again.

But why did the project suddenly fail to build after a new installation of OS, IDE and compiler, when not changing any code or files? Are there any compiler settings that caused that, why did it happen?

Thank you and kind regrads,
T

undefined references to two functions

You don't mention which functions, so it is quite hard for us to guess.
@keskiverto I apologize if my post was not too clear. The functions I added to one of the source code files are:

uint16_t Codec_TIMEOUT_UserCallback(void) {return 0;}

uint16_t LIS302DL_TIMEOUT_UserCallback(void) {return 0;}

It is a microcontroller project. Before reinstallation of OS and IDE+compiler the project built perfectly and worked. After reinstallation, it signaled undefined references to these 2 functions upon building. And I did not edit any source code.

So my question is about compiler behaviour... why did it previously work well even without explicitly defining these two functions. But then the build process was unsuccessful? I would like to understand what was going on to learn from such situations, but I am quite lost =/

Thank you and kind regards,
T
Last edited on
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
The functions I added to one of the source code files are:

Is the source file included into the project settings?
Thank you for reply @FurryGuy
I suppose it is, because now it built. But I still don't understand the issue...

In the previous installation, even if the source file was included, functions were not there, and it built well. But this time it complained for not finding the functions and did not build. Could it be because of some compiler settings, or something altogether different?

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.