Visual Studio 2013 - LNK1104: cannot open file 'kernel32.lib'

I recently updated to VS 2013 from VS 2010 for classes, and every project I make or pull up in VS 2013 causes this error when building. I looked and had seen the directory is in there for the SDK. I run a 64-bit Windows 10 OS, and since it only comes as a 32-bit version I downloaded the VS 2013 32-bit version. The platform toolset is v120, but I am not sure if i have what I need downloaded for that, or if I need a different toolset or what. Any help on this would be appreciated? Thanks!
Last edited on
I had the same issue recently with my VS 2008 when updating to windows 10. I was using the 2006 SDKS and once I upgraded I got the same error but for another .lib file.

The way I fixed this is I copied the missing .lib file from my error from the downloaded SDK (for me this was "Microsoft DirectX SDK (April 2006)"), and pasted it into the Library folder inside the Windows SDK folder that was already there from Windows 10.

Once I ran my build again, I got the same error but for a different .lib file. I repeated the process for about 6-8 files and finally I had everything I needed for a successful build.

Not sure if this is the smartest way to fix this, but it worked for me!
Last edited on
I searched through my C: drive and couldn't find a Windows SDK folder in it, would you happen to know the path to get to it or how/where to find those folders? I'm definitely willing to try whatever works seeing as I need this for homework.
It must be with Windows 10 . You should check for a windows 10 patch for vs 2013 .
Garrett,

I currently don't have my desktop with me, I'm away on business and only have my macbook. When I get home ill take some screenshots for you and provide my path to the folder. In the mean time you might want to try just searching windows for "sdk" and see what folders or files windows digs up. This might uncover the folder you are looking for.
It's okay, thanks for the help, but I'll probably just end up bringing the computer into my classes on Monday since I'm not figuring it out. It's a hassle, but luckily it should only be a one time thing pretty well. Thanks again though, I'll try and get my professor's help on it.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.