Finding a smallest positive number that is evenly divisible by all numbers from 1 to z.

Hello! I created this account exclusively to ask for help. I started learning C++ a few days ago and I have found a website (projecteuler.net) that gives questions about math and the most efficient way of finding out the answer is writing a program. I completed the first 3 problems, skipped the 4th and now I am attempting to solve the 5th. It asks for a smallest positive number that is evenly divisible by all numbers from 1 to 20 (I replaced that with z to give some flexibility to my program).

So anyway, this is the program I wrote to find out the number:

#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
int main()
{
    int x, y, i, z;
    cout << "Enter z:\n";
    cin >> z;
    for (x=1;;x++) //x is supposed to be the number I'm asked to find, this is setup to run forever until it finds it.
    {
        y = 0; //setting the number of times x mod i = 0 to 0.
        for (i=1;i=z;i++) //i is supposed to be the number I'm dividing x by, in the case of this particular question, 1 to 20.
        {
            if (x % i == 0) //checks if x mod i = 0, if so
            {
                y++; //adds a 1 to the counter.
            }
        }
        if (y == z) //if counter y is equal to z, the biggest divisor
        {
            cout << x << endl; //output the answer that is x to the console
            return 0; //and stop the program.
        }
    }
}

In my mind, this should work perfectly, but when I run it and enter the z variable (even if it is something extremely small, like 4), it doesn't output anything else, it just sits there. Could anyone point out my mistake? Thanks!
The second for loop is wrong, you are assigning not comparing this is a huge mistake as c++ compilers won't complain if you replaced a condition with assignment statement.

You need to understand for loops more, check the tutorial on this site.

As for the condition it should be for (i=1;i<=z;++i)

One last thing, you can use break instead of return 0.
Last edited on
On line 10 you wrote 'i = z' instead of 'i == z'. This is still wrong, since the loop will run as long as the condition is true. If z > 1, then the loop will not run at all, leaving y in its original value of z, making the condition on line 18 always false, causing the program to hang.
i <= z is the condition you want.
Thank you both, CodeBlob and helios, that works perfectly. I'll be sure to check out the for loops tutorial!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.