Program that reads its own .exe file

I need help making a program that can read its own .exe file, and then writes out the ASCII codes inside it.

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <string>
using namespace std;

int _tmain(int argc, _TCHAR* argv[])
{
string filename;
string line;
filename = "C:\\Users\\march_000\\Documents\\Visual Studio 2015\\Projects\\lab 5 part 2\\Debug";
ifstream in(filename);
while (!in.eof()) {
getline(in, line);
cout << line << "\n";
}
in.close();
return 0;
}
This is what I have so far. Does this look right, if not how can I correct. If/when correct where do I go from here?
Thank you to all of those who help
An executable file contains primarily of binary data (instructions), although there are regions that contain ASCII data. Your program makes no distinction between ASCII and non-ASCII data. Your cout statement is going to output both ASCII and non-ASCII data.

Additionally, using eof() as a while condition is incorrect. eof is set only AFTER attempting a read. Therefore if your getline fails (sets eof), you make an extra pass through the loop with whatever happens to be in line from the last iteration. Lines 19-20 should be:

while (getline(in, line))

PLEASE USE CODE TAGS (the <> formatting button) when posting code.
It makes it easier to read your code and also easier to respond to your post.
http://www.cplusplus.com/articles/jEywvCM9/
Hint: You can edit your post, highlight your code and press the <> formatting button.
Last edited on
Thank you I have made those changes. Do you have any suggestions on how to cout only the ASCII?
Iterate through each line and replace the non-ASCII characters with spaces.
See the following template for classifying characters.
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/locale/ctype/?kw=ctype

Note that getline by default reads characters up until a \n character. Given that you're reading primarily binary data, the length of line can vary widely. You would be better off using in.read() to read a fixed length buffer.

Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.