Seg fault and bus error

Hi,
Can anyone give examples on what cause segmentation fault and bus error? How do you know which part of the code is problematic and how should I resolve the error? I tried printing stuff throughout the code to see where the error is but sometimes nothing comes out at all.

For the code below, I got a bus error. What is causing it? Initially, I had a segmentation fault.

#include <iostream>
#include <algorithm>
#include <string>
#include <cstdlib>
using namespace std;

int maxu = -1;

void  utility(int x, int y, string mat[12][12],int val,int steps){
    if (steps == 0){
        maxu = max(maxu, val);
        return;
        }
    else if (mat[x][y]=="d" || mat[x][y] == "v"){
        return;
    } else {
    string ori = mat[x][y];
    int curr  = atoi(ori.c_str());
    mat[x][y] = "v";
    utility(x-1,y,mat,val+curr,steps-1); //north
    utility(x,y+1,mat,val+curr,steps-1); //east
    utility(x+1,y,mat,val+curr,steps-1); //south
    utility(x,y-1,mat,val+curr,steps-1); //south
    mat[x][y] = ori;
    }
}
int main(){
    int N;
    cin >> N;
    string mat[12][12] = {"d"};
    int row = 0;
    int col = 0;
    for (int i=1;i<=N;i++){
        for (int j=1;i<=N;j++){
                string x;
                cin >> x;
                if (x == "*"){row = i; col = j; mat[i][j]="v";}
                mat[i][j] = x;
            }
        }
    utility(row+1,col,mat,0,10);
    utility(row-1,col,mat,0,10);
    utility(row,col-1,mat,0,10);
    utility(row,col+1,mat,0,10);
    cout << maxu << endl;
    return 0;
}
    for (int i=1;i<=N;i++){
        for (int j=1;i<=N;j++){

This will cause you to go past the end of the array. Arrays start from zero, the normal form is this:

for (int i=0;i < N; i++){

There are problems with the way you get input. You don't prompt for input, then use an array with a size that is unknown to the user, and have no check to see if the input value is valid.

Having a std::cin inside a nested for loop without a prompt is confusing and long winded - it's 144 inputs. You need to come up with a better way.

Can you explain the recursion? You have 4 calls to the function in main, then the function itself has 4 recursive calls - how does it ever get to the last 3? It seems to be really obscure.
The input, N, is guaranteed to be from 4-10. So will I go past the end of my array?

The qn involves a n*n square and each square has some value (might be double digit). I am supposed to start at * and find a path of length 10 that sums to the greatest value and return the value. However, I can't visit the same square again.

So while I put the input data in the matrix, I marked all the other squares as "d" so I would have a "border" that my recursion cannot go pass so it will be within the n*n square.

And after I visited a square, I will mark it with a "v" then try going north, south, east and west.

The base case is when I finish 10 steps or encountered a blocked path ("d" or "v")
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.