Translation errors between IDE's? And how do I pause in Codeblocks?

I have WinVista. That means I'm stuck with Codeblocks. When I find a tutorial on YouTube in IDE like Microsoft Video Studio I get all kinds of errors.

Like Codeblocks' built in pause. It might help with programming but what if I want an actual pause in the game I'm writing?

So that is what I asked on the Youtube comments (see pic link) and I thought they answered me well. But when I went to try and program what they said both suggestions did not work.

_gletch gives me an error

I'm not even going to bother showing the code I wrote that in I am a beginner I don't think I understood what he mean by _gletch even if I put it's library at the top.

http://s25.postimg.org/p79gl8n9r/MVS_translated_to_Codeblocks_enlarged.png

std char tmp I get no error but it doesn't register "any key to continue" i have to click the x up in the corner to shut it down
#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{

float kittens = 100.8f;

cout << "You have " << kittens << " kittens."   << endl;
   cout << "\n\n\n" << endl;

std::cout << "Enter any key to quit...";
   char tmp;
   std::cin >> tmp;

return 0;
}
Last edited on
I have WinVista. That means I'm stuck with Codeblocks. When I find a tutorial on YouTube in IDE like Microsoft Video Studio I get all kinds of errors.

- Visual Studio 2008 works on Vista, and perhaps even Visual Studio 2010.

Like Codeblocks' built in pause. It might help with programming but what if I want an actual pause in the game I'm writing?

There are myriad of ways to make a pause in the game. But you are talking about input/output on standard streams, and those are not ment for games.

I suggest that you don't even bother trying making a game that works with standard input/output. Insted, when you master more programming basics, then learn a proper way to make a game.

Try this tutorial:
http://www.programming4beginners.com/
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.