Regex confusion, regex_search() returning false when it seems like it should return true

Apologizes if this is blindingly easy or already in the forums, but I decided to ask about it because I have been searching/googling all day without any success. I am trying to get a regex expression to pass, a very, very simple test, without luck.
Here is an example of what I am trying to do:
    std::regex letters("[a-zA-Z]",std::regex_constants::basic);
    if(std::regex_search("WHATEVER",letters)){
        std::cout << "Passed" << std::endl; 
    }else {
        std::cout << "Failed" << std::endl; 
    }

I have tried a bunch of different variations of the pattern, I have been trying different variations all day, anything and everything that google turned up, but what I am trying to do is very simple, just check if there exists in a string, at least one letter. regex_search() returns false for every pattern I have tried. I feel like I am missing something fundamental here, so any insight would be amazing. Thank you!
You wouldn't happen to be using a version of gcc where regex isn't implemented, would you?
No, I don't think that is it. It compiles just fine, with the -std=c++11 flag. I am using version 4.8.4, came with Ubuntu. It compiles fine and runs without error, but returns false. So the above program prints "Failed".
gcc didn't implement regex until version 5.04.9. Earlier versions had non-functioning stubs for some of regex functions, which compiled (quite misleadingly)

Modern gcc compiles your example as you would expect: http://coliru.stacked-crooked.com/a/de0db7dca12885c5

(other compilers, such as clang and visual studio, had the C++11 regex working since 2010)
Last edited on
I am using version 4.8.4

You should update to 4.9 or later.

It compiles fine and runs without error, but returns false.

Yes. It does that.

See:
http://stackoverflow.com/a/12665408
Last edited on
Oh wow, ok. thanks!!! I just totally assumed that if it was compiling and running without throwing a runtime error that it supported regex! Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.