I have a question

Ok, so I have always wanted to learn how to code. However im not sure which programming language to start with.

I have already looked at a few videos on c++ and have made my own calculator and the "Hello world" thing etc. I also know the basics so far like integers and floats etc

My main goal is to create applications for windows and such. I am extremely dedicated and really want to learn.

Which would be the best programming language for me to learn first?

Thanks
The exact language you learn is not too important. The important thing is to get started programming. That being said I don't recommend c++ as a first language. Check this for an explanation as to why.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKERfdutQ6w&index=3&list=PLS9MbmO_ssyBAc9wBC85_WG9aT88KGxH8

Java might be a good place to start.
If you want to create Apps for Windows I would recommend one of the .NET languages like C# or VB.NET. C# has the additional advantage that you can use it to create Windows Store apps.
There's no consensus on whether C++ is an appropriate language for a beginner programmer. My personal opinion is that it's not.
If you want to write Windows GUI applications, right now the quickest language to get started is probably C# + Windows Forms.
As from a beginner+ learner of C++, I agree it is indeed a difficult language to start with, if you have indeed no prior experience with computer programming. I am 13 and learning it, but before I started learning C++, I'd already known some Small Basic, a simplified programming language. What I am trying to say is that it is possible, but it would be easier to start from a more simple language.
As a person still learning quite a bit ("beginner+" used above is apt here) I think the problem with C++ is that, strangely enough, for a language that has been around for some 4 decades in different forms, most of the materials for trying to learn are fairly poor.

Go for it, of course, but the materials available (and I've been back and forth through countless books, videos, and even PluralSight) typically begin simple enough, then go from, "Look, a while statement" to Stroustrup's, "Now let's spend 2 chapters going through false starts, confusing you, introducing concepts we'll cover in the two cahpters AFTER this one, and yes, we did just go from 10-20 line code to 100+." This is very common in the materials I've seen. Also, it's one of the most highly recommended books for learners. I'll concede it's probably one of, if not the best... but that's mostly because everything else is just awful.

Then there's the books that are severely outdated, which you won't realize until you've went good and far into them. A good indicator is any book pre-2012 with an early chapter called, "Arrays" and not, "Vectors." I made that mistake with C++ Primer Plus 6E.

You might like C++. It's sometimes rather fun, but my frame of reference only exists in C++, so I can't give you an EDUCATED suggestion. I've heard good things about all the languages (and plenty bad as well) so no matter what you do you're doing something good for yourself, right? Right!
Thank you
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.