The C++ Programming Language (the book)

Just wondering: is it possible for anyone that may have read the book (Stroustrup) if it could be used as a self-study book?

There are numerous reasons I ask, one of which is I'm working through Stroustrup's INTENDED self-study book, "Programming Principles and Practice" and I'm beyond the point of frustrated. I'm spending far too long trying to "get" everything in it, but after reading chapters numerous times (upwards of 7 and 8 times) and finding material that isn't explained until a chapter or two later and it all "clicking," I'm really just kind of fed up. I plan on finishing the book, but it's structured so strange. Numerous times and numerous exercises either start referencing things under the, "don't worry about the details now" disclaimer, but when I get to the actual exercises, I can't do them because those details are important and often necessary. I get discouraged and eventually I begrudgingly move forward, convinced I'm too stupid to learn these things, and low-and-behold it's all clear in the following chapter.

I figured it would be a good book for learning with AFTER I finish the first book, and have a good idea of all/most of the code without leaving too much, "for later." Something that goes beyond the scope of the first book, but only after those basics have been covered.

Is it a good idea to stop stressing about these exercises (as much), work through what I can, and then just move on to another when things will seemingly be more clear?
I wouldn't so much use it as a self-study book - it's a very good reference book but it'd be a tough read if you tried to teach yourself C++ through it.

Can't speak for the other book, as I've not read it, but I've heard good things. There are always going to be assumptions that people who teach make and concepts that you don't quite grasp first time around. The important thing is not to sweat it.

I would code outside the exercises a bit. The important words there being 'I would code'. I tend to find you learn a lot more tinkering about with a program than you do reading. If there's a particular topic you're stuck on, the internet has a wealth of resources to help out, including (but not limited to) this forum.
I would disagree about not using it as a self-study book. I'm self learning too. I started with "Programming Principles and Practice Using C++" like you as well and I almost finished it (got till embedded systems ). Next I jumped into "The C++ Programming Language" and I just loved it.

I don't know why I usually see comments about that it should be used as reference. Its not that everything you will ever need about C++ is in that book but it really helped me get the basics of the language. Of course you have to do a lot of exercises after each chapter to so you actually remember something (included exercises are 1 more reason I wouldn't call it a reference book). Don't stress much about doing them all, but don't go only for the easy ones at the same time. You have to challenge yourself with at least few hard exercises per chapter to feel comfortable with the topic.

The part IV is about the standard library and yea its more like a reference as Stroustrup says himself but even with that there is plenty of explanation text and exercises that made me not to regret at all that I read it from cover to cover. Other parts could be used as reference as well for sure because there are a lot of info packed in the book.

If you are serious about learning the language I think this is a must to read book for sure (cover to cover). After it you will see that you are not even close an expert but you will know clearly what kind of stuff you have to read next and I already received pile of books from amazon for further studies :D

In conclusion - if I would be allowed to read only 1 C++ book, I would pick "C++ Programming Language" in a heartbeat.

Whatever you choose good luck with the studies man and don't get discouraged.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.