From C to Qt

I need a help to someone clear things in my head.

I started working as a C developer, immediately after that I have been reassigned to start with Qt, but with the average C programming knowledge, I came across a lot of difficulties to learn Qt, so I thought that it would be a good idea to start with reading C++ 5th Primer beside Qt, on a 300th page of that C++ 5th Primer book I realized that in general you can become familiar with many things in C++, but it stays in your head for a few days, and after that you don't know what you read and all that tricks you learned through this book are almost forgotten. Reading that book and doing exercises I don't see the same desire through every chapter and the point of the individual chapters.

So I am here to ask you, what you will do first if you don't have previous C++ knowledge but you need to learn Qt? What is the best way to improove C++ knowledge, It seems that books sometimes are really boring and not a good idea for someone who is beginner, so what to do, where to start?
Last edited on
Well I think the most important thing to learn are classes and OOP since Qt is object-oriented.
Apart from that there is not soo much to learn. Qt has its own collections, string and file handling classes so you can forget about the stl.
I am not sure if you have any use for templates in Qt, maybe someone more familar with Qt can say sth. about that.

I found the best way to learn is to write programs, after a bit of reading. Maybe you can use of your existing C programs to convert them to Qt.

Normally the first thing in a new framework I learn is to write a NotePad and WordPad clone, than an image viewer.

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.