asking for guidance about game programming

hello,

i've never wrote a thread like this before, so i hope you enjoyed the title x)

i know that i'm doing something wrong,
since i'm not using c++ as a language yet :
although i'm writing this down on a c++ forum.

but here is the deal, i want to share with you my view,
hoping if anyone get what i mean seriously,
so that i get a clear advice and gidness.

i'm in my first year in college, we are studying maths/informatics for now,
then i get to choose informatics as a speciality the next year.

for my license(bachelor degree)<my first 3 years> :
i'm gonna spend these years here in north africa(algeria) with my family,
then i'll move to the usa to pursue my educational Career like my older brother did, and i would have the right, possibility to choose my master degree, so i want you to focus a little bit on that please.

(excuse for my weak english vocabulary/warning)

now, as i mentioned i'm in my first year, exactly at the end of it,
here is what i've learned so far,
and i repeat, what i've really got in my mind:

-algebra basics
( groups/vector space theory/linear apps/few matrix operations)

-coding basics using pascal
(if-else logic/variables/vectors/matrix/records/functions-procedures/linked lists/files)
* how to style my code *
* focusing not only about input, output was a great deal for me,
so i managed to learn how to clean the way i'm communicating with the user*

-some binary theory
*how to transform from binary to octal*
*hexadecimal operation(adding...)*
*representation of negative numbers in binary base*
*algebra-boole(lol, i srx don't know if that's how it's called)*
*few other thing*

-mechanics movement basics in general

-electricity basics

-probability basics

-English (on my own, cause i knew i would need it to search for sources)

-analyse-maths basics

basically that's what i consider worth mentioning, that i really focused on along this year, and to be honest, i'm really so dead serious about my goal that i didn't talk about yet x), that's why i don't wanna lie about a thing.

my goal is, well of course i wanna build the best game ever,
the best mmo ever,
bla bla bla, but i know things doesn't work like that, they never did, cause it's not the first i join to a new world, for example i'm a musician, and i'm sure that planning alone wont work, i need to work hard to be a better musician,
and by listening to the masters, by that i refer to good musician, i will be more than a better musician.

so back to the deal, i'm heading to c++ after we finish our controles(3 weeks), i wanna know the following if it's possible of course:

//don't forget, i wanna build a good base x) for game programing,
i don't know how to name the part where you design the heart of the game,
and develop it, but that's what i want to do//

-what should i focus on when i do the transition to c++
*if it's possible you can give me titles of what i can search about*

-what should i pick as a master degree to help practise more what would serve me to build games later and where

-books vs youtube tutorials versus teachers or all together

-i know that i'm never gonna be ready to develop any game, but would this remaining four yours of studying would get me a good chance to get into game development industry ?

-is it possible to work home or you have to be in an office where everything is scheduled?

-how much can an average game developer make per year? as far as you know cause i've read few articles about that

well, that's all for me, and thank you very much.
Last edited on
closed account (3voN6Up4)
I'm also interested in what you like to do. I'm currently learning C++ as my current language, and I am 16 years old. The number of teachers I have had... I probably wouldn't even bother.

When you program, you're basically inputting your OWN code. There is no right way to do it, as long as it produces the output you desire. That being said, there is no specific way to learn programming (which teachers teach the way they've learned most of the time) Their ways can confuse people and my teacher confuses me a lot. I had to learn on my own and figure things out.

Whatever you do, DON'T GIVE UP. I was about ready to give up on the 4th chapter (which was looping in my class) I didn't get it at all and my teacher kept telling me to refer to the book. If you keep trying and have faith in yourself, you will succeed. I never thought I would get this far in C++ as far as I am, but that's because I chose to stick with this hard language (yes it's a hard language to start off of, but a very powerful and useful language as well) and no matter how frustrated I would get I would give it a short break and get back to it.

Have passion in what you do, I know you can succeed in your dreams. If you want to create an amazing MMO game, you can. What stops most people from following their dreams are negative people who keep saying they will never do it, the difficulty of the task, and stress. Overcome these and possibly others and you will get to do what you want. The sky is the limit, and I believe you can do it.

I apologize for not answering many of your questions, but I just want to give you some of my input. Welcome to the forums!
thanks for replying, you're right, to learn something you have to dig a lot,
and there isn't such a thing as a certain road to follow.

but as i mentioned, sometimes, few titles to look after would help, that's what i'm asking for.
i don't know how to name the part where you design the heart of the game,
game engine, see:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_game_engines

-what should i focus on when i do the transition to c++
graphics, physics, geometry, 3D. Basically the math behind that.

I would suggest not to exaggerate game development that much. Most of the time you're doing the same as other developer. It is possible to work in one area and change to another at any time.

Generally: The more experienced you are as a developer the more appealing you are for the [game] industry. Hence I always suggest to create a portfolio of projects. Start small and grow. The more you can show the better your chances.
hello coder, thanks for the informations, well i like the idea of the portfolio, i'm gonna start on that from today :)

the thing that i'm a little confused about, you're saying physics, geometry, learning them as a pure maths or what's relating to code would be sufficient for my studies ?

cause to be honest, maths is not my thing :/
If creating a game, it could have certain formulas such as the distance formula. If the game is going to have a car in it and after you ride the car and the developer wants to have a message box saying: You travelled ___ miles!

You'll have to know the distance formula so the person playing can give the program the info, and with your code, make it output the distance travelled. It kind of works like that but hey, we have the internet. You can just search up the formulas and such!
You honestly could make math your thing, there was a student in high school once who failed and absolutely hated Calculus he failed everything and didn't get it. He decided to retake it the next year and he tried his hardest. He aced the class with a 90. Guess where he got after that? He then went on to be a professor in college. IN COLLEGE. Guess what he taught? CALCULUS.

Things at first seem hard, and which is why we avoid them. We move on to the easy stuff. You can get good at anything you want as long as you try your best and give it your all.

anewuser, do all what you can! We are here to help you as well.
Hey

I am also learning how to make my games as well. Game engine is awesome! That's my huge goal to make because I was inspired by Naughty dog studios. They don't use the known game engines.

Once you get the hang out of the basics of C++, everything is just putting things together in classes and making sure that you can open files and save files. OOP is what makes C++ is a great programming languague because it helps you with organize your code and share it with other developers without them having to know what you code does.

Honestly, you are not going to learn everything about C++ so always have some reference around and google. We are also here to help out. If you are interested in pair programming. We can work on some challenges and stuff.

Once you get the gasps of C++, grab these books:

http://www.amazon.com/Programming-Principles-Practice-Using-2nd/dp/0321992784/ref=sr_1_12?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1463709640&sr=1-12&keywords=c%2B%2B

http://www.amazon.com/Engine-Architecture-Second-Jason-Gregory/dp/1466560010

Plus there are more but for game engine design...this is the book to go too. Good luck!
Games usually push the limits of the hardware. With that in mind I suggest the following:

Learn about networking. The classics are TCP/IP Illustrated by Richard Stevens.

Pay attention to have fast code runs and how much space it takes up. A lot of what you'll learn in school is ways to create code that is correct, but doesn't run as fast as it could, or take up as little space as it could. Now I'll be the first to admit that fast code is worthless if it isn't correct, but a good game programmer has to make code that is both.

Learn about the computer architecture. This will help you to write code that's friendly to the CPU and memory system.
@dhayden

I'll check that out too! I didn't know that! Thanks! :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.