What is a good side programming language for C++?

closed account (3voN6Up4)
I've been thinking about future careers in the programming industry, and some people tell me that C++ isn't a big thing in jobs. They tell me that Java is a big one so I should go C++ and Java. However Java and C++ seem to be different in comparison and through some brief research, it seems like those two combined aren't a great combination.

I like C++ because of the syntax. It seems very well organized and it suits me well. I'm not a huge fan of Python either, because of the way math is calculated. You sometimes have to use floats to get the math correct and the fact that you aren't noting which variable is either an integer or double, etc.

What is a good secondary language for a C++ programmer? Should I master C++ before even learning or thinking about a secondary language? How long would that typically take? A year or two?
That's great that you are planning your career.

No telling what the next major language will be.
Reading Hacker News is one way to get a feel for the industry: http://www.daemonology.net/hn-daily/
Rust and Go are newer languages that are strongly typed.
Or pick a college, and start learning what ever language their courses use.
That way you can get more out of the course while other students are struggling to learn the language.
Last edited on
@wolfv

Okay, also I am 16 right now. So I have time to figure that out anyway. I will check out the link you gave me. Thank you!
Stick with programming and pushing yourself to learn different code techniques in C++ over your next few years and you'll enter college in a much much better position to succeed than others who haven't.

I would recommend sticking with C++, and as for Java, it's best feature to me was always having a clean GUI you can code like Swing.

I'm a little jaded about Java & C# because they just feel bloated and a pain to deal with because back in the day, every updated would just wreck your code and you'd spend too much time hunting down fixes for what broke.
Mmm makes sense. Thank you
If you know C++, you will go through other languages with ease.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.