Best way to learn for beginners with no coding experience?

So far I have started to use the Sol Learn C++ guide and I wanted to know if anyone else has used this and if it will help jumpstart me into learning how to be fluent at c++. Does anyone have any suggestions on maybe books or Youtube tutorials that will ready me to code in something such as UE4?
Are you coming with background experience in other languages? If so what languages? Or are you new to programming, and looking to pick up c++ as your learning language with the end goal of using the UE4 engine?
I have almost no experience with coding languages besides the Sol Learn app on my phone. I somewhat get the gist of it when you do it in a IDE type program, but when you bring it to UE4 my mind cant handle it quite yet. So far I would like to learn C++ as my first language and at the end be able to make tiny games in the UE4 game engine. I'm looking for a book or video that will lead me all the way up to that point. I'm willing to spend months/years on this.
Keep in mind, I am still a Noob when it comes to C++.

So, from what I have seen, you need a good foundation of C++ before you can dive into Unreal Engine 4. Because they have their own way of handling C++ within their engine. If I were you, I would start off small. Keep learning C++, and then get into a more basic Engine like SFML. And then build yourself up to diving into Unreal Engine 4.
That is the thing. I would love to start really small and work up over the years. But I have absolutely NO idea where to start and what books or videos aren't a waste of time. Im very experienced in unity with its layout and somewhat UE4, I just want to start to learn C++ so I can actually work on more code in those engines in the future.
Ah! So it is just C++ you want to focus on right now. I must have misunderstood what you typed. I would suggest, off the top of my head, two books to start you off right now. C++ Primer Plus 5th Edition by Stephen Prata and Beginning C++ Through Game Programming 4th Edition (I believe) by Michael Dawson. I'm taking classes for Programming, so I don't really know what good Video Resources their are, but I am sure someone else will chime in with that!
Thank you very much, I will buy those right now! :)
Do you think these books after awhile will help me to get to a point of making like a tiny snake game or something small? That is overall my first goal.
I'd think so. I'd say, go through the Beginning C++ Through Game Programming book first, and then go to the SFML official page, go through their learning documentation (maybe even look up some of those things on Youtube to get a vocal learning experience), and then try following along a Youtube tutorial on an SFML Snake Game tutorial. If it is hard to follow/understand, look up the things you don't understand.

In my opinion, a huge part of learning how to make games revolves around your logic well you're coding. Learning how to get into the mind set of game developing is just as important as how much you actually know in C++.
Okay sounds good, appreciate the help. Good luck!
closed account (E0p9LyTq)
You couldn't go too wrong with the creator of C++, Bjarne Stroustrup, and his book "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++ (2nd Edition)"
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.