Unable to statically link to GLFW lib, but no problems dynamically, why?

I'm using GLFW for creating a gl context in C++. Would anybody know why when using GCC and mingw-w64, I'm unable to statically link to their lib, and instead I must link dynamically?

I'll add a link below with the solution that worked for me, but unfortunately the poster has no idea why the solution works, but I do want to know.

https://m.reddit.com/r/learnprogramming/comments/1gdr16/mingw_glfw_3_undefined_references_when_linking/

Read icdae's answer. Again, my program compiles perfectly, but I'd like to learn what's why static linking doesn't work.

Oh and this is how I compile my program just in case, ignore Vulkan.

g++ src/main.cpp src/renderer.cpp src/debug.cpp src/time.cpp -I include -I include -L lib -lglfw3dll -lvulkan-1 -o Game

More Detail:

Also, I downloaded the proper zip from the GLFW site that includes a folder named "lib-mingw-w64", which has: glfw3.dll, libglfw3.a, libglfw3dll.a and is what I'm using right now.

Thanks!
Last edited on
What do you mean by "unable"? When you link statically you also have to link its dependencies.
Last edited on
@LB actually you can ignore the answer above, I did a little more research on the difference between static and dynamic linking and I believe I understand what you mean now. If I statically link, I must include any required dependencies, in my case opengl32.

I read a lot of people suggesting dynamic linking more since less code is copied.
There are advantages and disadvantages to both dynamic and static linking - it really depends on your use case. For a game, it doesn't really matter so much, so just do whatever's easier for now.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.