C++ and math

Hey guys! I'm currently learing c++ and i really like it and i would like to make a software for Windows or Linux (it's probably not gonna relate to cryptography or game dev) so would you please tell me what kind of math do i need to know for this job?
Last edited on
Hi,

The word you are looking for is not math but algorithms, read books or online material, you could practice with project-euler

PS: Welcome to cplusplus.com :)
It would be more helpful to know what kind of software you are interested in creating (in contrast to what you are not interested in).

That said, you typically don't need much more than a working ability with algebra to do most programming tasks, unless your program specifically requires more math.
closed account (48T7M4Gy)
so would you please tell me what kind of math do i need to know for this job?

It's probably a bit early yet in you C++ career. I suspect you'll know which direction to take in your mathematics learning further down the track. At least when you see the signpost pointing to cryptography and game dev you'll know to just keep going. :)
Thank you guys so much for your replies! The thing is I graduated from high school this year and even though I was studing algebra at school some people say that it's not enough and i also need to learn about Discrete Math but some people say that i don't need to learn it and i need to learn algorithms so i'm just not sure what do to about it..

Also about software that i would like to make. Well i i'm interested in desktop application development.
closed account (48T7M4Gy)
Well Welp12451

I wouldn't take too much notice of people who make comments like those you mention - algorithms, discrete mathematics and algebra don't limit you, they expand your options later on - and they are the basics of a good education in computing.

If you plan on attending a university and studying computing formally then you'll be advised properly. There's no harm asking them now.

PS The good places to learn will have subjects on cryptography and games.
Thank you so much for your answer! Really appreciate that :)
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.