how to print next character in alphabet?

i just started learning c++ and i want to know how to print out the next character in alphabet when i input a character . i want the code to be in scanf and printf not cout and cin
[code]
i tried this code but its not working:
#include <stdio.h>
int main ()
{
char z;
scanf("%c",&z);
printf("%c",z+1);
return 0 ;
}
i just started learning c++
i want the code to be in scanf and printf not cout and cin

You are learning C. You are not learning C++. If you want to code in c++, use cout and cin.

Also. Your code works perfectly fine for me. It prints out the next character in the alphabet just like you want it to. What does it do for you?
Here is a similar program in C++.
#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main() 
{
	char a = 'a';
	a++; // this is the same as doing a = a + 1;
	std::cout << a; // prints out the letter b.
}
Last edited on
@TarikNeaj i know i should use cout and cin but i want to try it with printf and scanf .
for example when i put a character in the black screen then click enter it should give me the next letter in alphabet ( when i put the letter f then click enter it just gives me '!' )
just gives me
'!'
and on visual studio just gives me '='
Last edited on
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <ctype.h>

int main()
{
    const char alphabet[] = "abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz" ;

char c ;
    // note: conversion specifier %c does not consume leading whitespace
    // unless there is a whitespace character before the %c in the format string
    scanf( " %c", &c ) ;

c = tolower(c) ; // if upper case, convert c to lower case
    if( c != 0 && c != 'z' ) // if not the null character and not the last character in our alphabet
    {
        const char* ptr = strchr( alphabet, c ) ; // find the occurrence of c in our alphabet
        if( ptr != NULL ) // if it is present in our alphabet, print out this character and 
            printf( "the next character after '%c' is '%c'\n", ptr[0], ptr[1] ) ; // the next character in our alphabet
    }
}

http://coliru.stacked-crooked.com/a/ad081d1f8732c263
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.