Any ideas on a beginners programming project that has a community purpose?

This is a question to ask for ideas and not for help on specific code. Sorry if it's not the right forum to post it to.

Ok, I know this is a tough one, but I'm trying to come up with an idea of a project for beginner programming students (at university) that has a real community purpose (like helping someone in need, doing something for their community, anything like that).

I've seen how keen young students are on helping others and how motivated they get when they are faced with problems like "helping blind kids use a computer", so I thought maybe there is some kind of project they can do that can help someone else.

The problem is: this is for a beginners course, they don't even know any OOP. The language would be C++ but without dealing with the whole OOP world (constructors, inheritance, methods, polymorphism, etc.) yet. They know about structs (and how to use them within containers), vectors, maps, sets, static arrays and singly linked lists. They do work with functions but not with methods (I mean, they don't create classes or instance objects, other than when they use "new" to create a linked list node), so that limits the possibilities a lot.

The point is to get them motivated into investigating and learning some more C++ and general programming concepts (so, for instance, a webs page might not be the right project for them).

If anyone can share a good idea I can use, I'd be very thankful :)
It's a great question.

- You sort of came up with an idea yourself in your third paragraph: conversion to braille - might be able to get an associative container like a map involved here
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.