c style array to std::array

how can i assign c style array to std::array?
int cstyle[3] = { 3,3,3 };
std::array<int,3> test = cstyle;
You can try:

#include<iostream>
#include<array>
using namespace std;

int main(){

int cstyle[3] = { 3,3,3 };
std::array<int,3>& test = reinterpret_cast<std::array<int,3>&>(cstyle);

for(auto& itr: test){
    cout<<itr<<"\n";
    }

}

Note that c-style array name reduces to a pointer and hence the std::array is of <int,3>& type. However this is considered to be a dirty and dangerous hack that should be avoided because if the internal implementation of std::array changes then this becomes error prone because the program, at the time of writing, assumes that both types of arrays have the same memory configuration
Hello elay,

You could try something simple like:
int cstyle[3] = { 1, 2, 3 };
std::array<int, 5> test{ 0 };  //  Initializes the entire array to 0.

for (int lp = 0; lp < 3; lp++)
	test[lp] = cstyle[lp];

for (int lp = 0; lp < 5; lp++)  //  Prints the whole array to show the changes made from previous loop.
	std::cout << "\n " << test[lp];

Hope that helps,

Andy
Or you could use std::copy to copy the cstyle array into the std::array.

#include <iostream>
#include <array>

int main()
{
    int cstyle[3] = { 3, 33, 333 };
    std::array<int, 3> test;
    std::copy(cstyle, cstyle + 3, test.begin());

for(auto& itr : test)
        std::cout << itr << std::endl;

return 0;
}

OP mentions assigning one array to another but yes, the other solutions are also feasible if assignment is not strictly necessary
@gunnerfunner

If assignment is strictly necessary, then your solution is incorrect. You are not assigning to a variable of type array<int, N> from a regular array; you are initialising a reference of type array<int, N> to refer to a regular array.

@OP

You can't use operator= to set the value of a std::array<> to that of a C-style, you must copy the elements over, as Handy Andy and jlb have illustrated.

Andy
@andywestken: I'd put the reference (&) in bold to highlight that fact but thanks for reiterating it
I am picking up on your comment about "the other solutions are also feasible". To make it clear that your suggestion is not a solution to the original problem (and hence should be avoided.)
OK, if you want to be splitting hairs that's your problem but where exactly in my post do you see me claiming a solution?

It starts off with 'you can try', then the type with reference is described clearly in bold and finally there's a warning not to do this for various other reasons. Doesn't seem like a 'solution' to me, does it, but rather how far s/he could get with the assignment operator.

Remember, we're posting on a forum here, not drafting a legal document - so to copy and post a phrase from one post without context is very misleading and narrow-minded.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.