need help with making code for a program

I'm trying to code a program that will allow the user to play any card game they desire and load the proper game mat, card images and database. I also want the program to read the statistical value on the cards and apply them to calculate damage and stat boosts. I'm considering starting with something like Yu-Gi-Oh or Magic to be the first game inserted into the program. I was wondering if anyone would want to help with the program. I think making this program will help me A LOT as a programmer because it will force me to learn to put certain mechanics into code and maybe help me explain something when somebody else might need help with code or suggestions.

Also, I'm making the program in Visual Community.
Last edited on
this is a gigantic undertaking. Magic has a LOT of rules and a LOT of specific action cards. I am not saying to not do it, I am just saying it is much bigger than you probably realize. If you only coded it for 1 game you would still be very busy for a long time...

That said ... break it into small parts and figure out what you need. Actually play the game and write down everything you do. Shuffle? Deal? Pass? Draw? Discard deck/card tracking? ... all that stuff becomes a routine...
That much I'm aware of. I just wanted to code the basic set up right now and see how it goes. Also, I wanted to present this to my instructor as a course project to show him that I am learning and seeking new resources to educate myself in the process of building the program.

The thing is, I want each game to load properly. Just not 100% sure where to start.
Might be easier to start with something simpler like poker? And then building up to something as complex as magic or even yu gi oh
I was thinking about that but maybe starting with a 2 player version of poker.
I'm doing something similar myself and i can already see how complex it can get. Little steps! You dont want to take too big of a chunk and then have that put you off programming. Thats what happen to me initially.
Thanks for the tips. I really appreciate the help. I think I'm just gonna make a manual version first and see how well that flows.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.