How do i need to learn C++?

Hi, im a beginner in C++, i learn it for more that 3 months now, but i feel like i dont know nothing what i learned from those 3 months and my question is, how to propperly learn C++? Thanks in advance!
get up to date books and materials, and write code to do things. There is no substitute for this. Decades ago when I learned the language, it was said to take people several years to master the language (5 or so, roughly) and the language has grown with at least 4 major additions since then (stl was one of the biggest ones, and that alone is a huge undertaking to learn and much, much harder for people that were long set in their ways!).

I would think that it will take a non-programmer (new to programming AND new to language) a couple of years to really "get there" and a couple more to "master" it at the least, maybe longer. If you know coding (say, java or something), that will be less.

If you're a beginner c++ programmer with three months of knowledge, I'm guessing you took a quarter of Computer Science at your local campus. If thats true, you should have more than enough knowledge to be able to code some small programs. Coding programs yourself is the very best way to learn. Since you're already have some knowledge googling things you don't know will be easier to learn. This is literally what I'm doing. I'm learning c++ and I have a couple side projects I'm coding to help me learn and get ahead.
Being 14 years old and learning C++ is a great start my friend. I wish I was more focused back in your days, so my advice to you as a computer science major is to start getting to know C++ syntax and terminology.

Read C++ beginning examples online such as tutorials point C++.
Learn from examples, and use cpp.sh website to easily and quickly practice and run the code.
Write your own sample code from what you learned.
Then integrate your old knowledge inside the code.
You are likely to get bugs, google and fix it.
If not, post it here, and ask for help. Try to engage in discussions and explain that you are only 14 years old, so people give simple and direct response to your questions.
At the end, when your code/project is complete, contribute to open source code. For example, open a new question here, and write what the topic is, and post your code, so maybe someone might find it helpful in the future.

This is what I am doing along side the projects at university.

Also don't forget to write down your code and thoughts on paper before you code it, because later in job interviews, you get a whiteboard and marker, and they ask you to code. :)

Good luck!
Kourosh23 wrote:
explain that you are only 14 years old
Why should OP do that?

I don't think age is usually relevant to the discussion. In cases where that is true, including it lowers the quality of the question by decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio. My advice is generally to avoid mentioning information that doesn't matter.
Last edited on
+jonnin +kindkush +Kourosh23 Thanks for all the tips, it really means a lot for me!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.