help understanding npos code

So I am just trying to learn more about strings and I am having trouble with npos, I cant seem to visualize or grasp what its doing, I think I might know but I am unsure, please correct me if im wrong.

#include <iostream>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
    string one, two;

cin >> one;

string::size_type pos = one.find(':');

if(one.npos != pos)
    {
        two = one.substr(pos + 1);
        one = one.substr(0, pos);
    }

cout << one << endl;
    cout << two << endl;

return 0;
}

string::size_type pos = one.find(':');

So the .find returns the position it found the character at, in this case ":", and string::size_type pos stores that value in it, correct?

if(one.npos != pos)

and this is saying if the position of the string is not equal to the position of the ":" character, then do the code in the body.

Im a little confused at these though. I think the second line resets the position?
Last edited on
So the .find returns the position it found the character at, in this case ":", and string::size_type pos stores that value in it, correct?

Correct.

if(one.npos != pos)

and this is saying if the position of the string is not equal to the position of the ":" character, then do the code in the body.
If no matches were found, the function returns string::npos.

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/find/

two will store the string created from one, starting from the character after the character that is being looked for, up to the end of one.

This is the second overload for substr(), which will create a string of length pos, starting from index 0 (beginning of the string).
For example,
one = "abc:defg"
// string::size_type pos = one.find(':');
-> pos = 3
// two = one.substr(pos + 1);
-> two = "defg"
// one = one.substr(0, pos);
-> one = "abc"

http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/string/string/substr/
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.