c++ institute exam

question to all of my friends.

Did anyone of you did the c++ institute CPA exam and pass? If so how did you do it?

I did the exam twice. The first time round I had a 76% score. Not bad. but to pass you need 80%. So I went for a second time and than I had a 70% score.

Now it is that I'm not English and dyslectic. So I might be a bit slow. The exam consists of 55 questions and you a 60 minutes. That needs fast reading and I admit some question just contained to much text for me to get through in a minute. But not 30% of them.

Since I have studied hard, have some pretty good understanding about the basics of C++ I'm doing something wrong in the way I study and/or take the exam.

Therefor my question did anybody did the exam and pass. If so, how did you do it.
Actually no one did? Well I did :-)

If your not interested in following any coarse stop reading here. If you are I will give you my experience and you need to find out for your self if you want to follow this one.

There coarse is in 3 stages, First, Middle, Expert level. I did the first level.

I did followed there course. Wat is positive about it is that there is a curriculum that you have to go through within a particular time frame to get to the exam.

The material in the course is not all conclusive. They don't claim that and refer to some books you need to read. What I missed in the coarse are references to actual chapters, paragraphs etc in those books that did describe the subject further than the coarse. You have to find out that yourself. I used some e-books and the youtube videos of Jamie King.

What I found a pity was that there were no practical assignments in the coarse. Since I think learning any language goes better with practising it. So I made my own assignments.

After every chapter there were some questions that need to be answered. That's good, it gives an insight in how far you have understood the subject(s). The problem I found is that it did told you how many points you had got but not what you is still laking. They claim that its done on purpose so you have to go back and do the whole chapter again and not learning answering questions. That might be a way but you only got two possibilities to go through the questions. Than there gone and you still don't know what is laking.

All most all questions were "what is the result of this code." So the option is to copy the code of the questions and run them. See if your answer is right. Now this is very recommendable because not all answers in the questionnaire of the C++ institute are right. Or my compiler would fail for there exam ;-).

Than I did the exam. What I came across is that not all answers are validated. That means the are marked "unanswered" and therefore wrong. So you need far higher score than the 80% they claim you need to pass. I did wrote them an e-mail about it. They told me I could get a 70% discount on my next exam. I do hope they will do some more serious work on there rating system in the near future.

I think for a first level 80% score at the exam is to high if it were to stimulate to carry on learning C++. You could argue that only a good foundation is going to help you further. But that is a matter of opinion I suppose.

I would not recommanded to anyone who wants to study C++. But please don't take my word for it.
I knew cppinstitute was bad, I didn't know it was that bad!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.