Learning C++. Advice on how to aproach.

Hello.
Few months ago I started learning C++(as first language). I was learning it by practicing in the console, as do most people probably start. After I thought I know some basic stuff and when I got bored from the black and while console I decidet do star learning SDL. So because I don't know what I don't know xD I decided to follow a book like its the holy bible xD.

I am discovering new methods and styles of oop, I am litteraly memorizing the stuff... ofcourse untill I understand why what I've learned is done the way it was, I wont proceed further in the book.

My concern is that the way I am curently learning wont train my problem solvin. What should I do? I think that if I finish the book I will have enough tools and knowledge to use and practice problem solving. Will that be the case? Should I continue learning the way I am?
Thanks in advance.

You need to solve algorithm and data related problems. Memorizing won't help you in the real world.

Try solving problems at codechef or hacker rank.
First I suggest you to Complete this Tutorial Read Every Things

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/cplusplus/

After that try to create some simple game such as Tic Tac Toe by yourself and try not to cheat.
And wrire Simple Sort function, try to de-bug it, implement Linked List, Stack, Queue, etc.

Try to reading Stack Overflow, http://www.cplusplus.com/forum/beginner .

feel free to any other questions.
Well once you know some basics, you should use that knowledge to build simple programs; to prove that you understand the components. I think working your way through the basics and then start using that knowledge to build projects.

Think each chapter, like Loops and Arrays, you can easily create a basic programs to show your command of that knowledge. Once you can do any Loop and doing Nested Loops, then combine that with Arrays to sort the data entries, and like most other subjects they will link up. But I would keep it simple until you have studied all the basics; before creating complicated projects. In other words you should stick with miniature programs to show the use of your knowledge as it progresses and then take the big ones when you know you can think and breathe in the code.

I'm not an expert, I'm like you still learning, but this is how it works for me!

What you should learn depends on the field you chose. I don't even know what I will do, until I get the basics out of the way.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.