How do I proceed?

I have been learning c/c++ for many months and I am still beginner, but I want to go to more advanced level.

My question is how do I approach to the next level? I have been doing same programs with different approaches and logic and method. I want to know which books should I refer also I want to know where can I find intermediate level programs to read and learn more.

Thanks

If you search for "book" in this forum, you'll be provided with a number of posts with many good answers to your question.
I am in the same boat as you are. Beginner, attempting to jump to intermediate and beyond I guess. You have to take these generalisations with a pinch of salt though. What exactly do C++ programmers assume when they refer to terms "beginner", "intermediate" and so on is anybody's guess.
It is all rather too subjective IMHO.
Having said all that, when I started out with C++, some time towards the end of last year, I found that Stephen Prata's book, C++ Primer Plus 6th Edition was helpful and detailed enough to get a good understanding. Especially chapters 10 to 16. Although a bit dated now, especially in view of C++17 having recently been introduced, it is still worth reading and practising using the exercises provided at the end of each chapter.
The other book, regardless of what level, which is a "must" read in the C++ world is "Bjarne Stroustrup - The C++ Programming Language - 2013".
There are also several books that cover the STL, which you'll need to tackle, but only once you're somewhat more comfortable with the language.

Happy coding(-:
Have you learned all the core basics of C++ and are you familiar with using them? If so, have you learned most of the standard C++ library?
@boost Lexical Cast..
I am reading books on STL (C++ standard Library by Nicolai Josuttis), I am getting myself familiar with standard c++ library, but I am going with slow pace. reading and coding slowly.
coding the same program with different approach etc and asking questions on this forum.

Any other suggestions will be appreciated.

@rajhansk

That's good. The standard library can be useful. Prevents a lot of reinventing. http://en.cppreference.com/w/ is a good reference for the C++ standard library.

The next level could be writing a useful program that you will actually use. Or an entertaining one (like games). I prefer to create command line tools. For example, creating a command line tool to find files with something like boost::filesystem. Or GUI programs. E.g. Timer and Stopwatch, calculator, etc.
Last edited on
@boost lexical cast

Command line tool idea is cool, how do I proceed to that??

Topic archived. No new replies allowed.