Advice and pointers on soft keyboard for android and possibly windows

I find the software keyboard on my phone difficult to use because of trying to cram so many keys into a small space, and while there are sometimes a second page which is useful, it is not implemented well, usually lacks a way to get to the number pad manually, and usually lacks the control key or other useful keys.

To resolve this issue, I had the idea of designing a keyboard with tabs, and on each tab is a layout. With the tabs always in the same spot, it is easy to swap between them but also can have far more keys available as needed and have a numpad that can be gotten to.

Further, if multiple tabs are selected, then that can open even more tabs, thus with four tab keys, you have sixteen quickly available layouts.

Not only can you have the basics within easy reach on larger keys, but you can also have keys that perform keyboard shortcuts with a single press, access to all the keys from a standard 128 keyboard including the function keys and still have plenty of space left over.

You could make those extra keys programmable.

It's also be really nice if you could rearrange the keys as desired, so possibly use Dvorak layout or even custom layouts.

I'd like to make it work for android primarily, but making it work for windows as well would be nice if it is possible. I wouldn't be opposed to other platforms of course.

Obviously I can't do all that at first and I need to start simple. But truth is even the simplest implementation of this idea is beyond me. I have no idea how to go about this.

I'd like any help anyone is willing to offer to get me started, or even a partner on the project. (heck, as I'm trying to make a solution for a real world problem I'd even accept someone doing it for me)

I'd also like some feedback on the design itself. For example, should go with a 3x9 keys which means splitting the letters among two tabs but has larger keys, or should I go with 4x9 which can fit all the letters on one tab plus shift, control, alt, period, enter, and space.

I know that it is common to use some other language for android, but I found AIDE which can compile c++ as well, and since I'm familiar with it, I'm hoping to avoid learning something else for the sake of one project I'm not even sure I can complete on my own.

So, any help, guidance, or feedback on the base concept would be nice.
here's an advice...
don't code with smartphone / tablet unless you want to practice only
I tried...and then I code with laptop / PC and the difference is too great that I cannot move back to coding with smartphone / tablet
anyways try to use android studio which is provided by google (?)
also...I am pretty sure there's many keyboard apps....why not use those ??
I rarely get to use a laptop/desktop, like less often than once a week.

Also, I have yet to see a keyboard app that breaks away from the current standard, which is the problem. What I want in a keyboard app is just plain unavailable, or at least I've not seen one nor heard of one.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.