Visual Studio. Running Debug doesn't Debug.

Hello
Starting to learn C++ with Ben Tristam's course which couples it with Unreal Engine. Pretty excited about it.

I seem to have a problem to which my google-fu is failing.

Debug doesn't work properly. I create a breakpoint and press F5 I don't see the "Continue" button available and I can't also add Watches to check the value of portions of the code.

http://i.imgur.com/SSdd3TX.png

From searching it seems that I should toggle this option shown on the left side. But my menu in VS is quite different (right) and I don't find it.
http://i.imgur.com/o9nQJHK.png

Thank you!
to debug you need to do the step-into type commands in the debug menu. Running it straight up does not debug, it just runs the program. I don't remember what 'f5' means (even when I use visual I have remapped the shortcut keys) but be sure you are in the 'step through' mode.
Hello probiner,

jonnin has a good suggestion, but I find it rare that I would have to use it when I use my VS 2015.

My first question is when you compile and run the program, what mode is the IDE in? The choices are "Debug" or Release". It sounds like you might be in "Release" mode because some break points and watches do not work in "Release" mode. I am also wondering what version of VS you are using?

Underneath the menu names on the tool bar, mostly in the center, are three rectangular boxes each with a down arrow for more choices. In the left box it should say "Debug". If not left click the down arrow and choose "Debug" then try running your program. If you are still having problems I will see what else I can come up with.

Your second screen shot shows the properties for the solution. There should be no need to change anything here.

Let me know which version of VS you are using and if you are still having problems.

Andy
Thank you @jonnin an @Handy Andy

Silly me!​ I was putting the breakpoint where I was supposed to but the code execution wasn't actually getting there so I wasn't getting any of those features to become available. From watching the video I thought that those features would be readily available regardless just by running in Debug mode.

I'm running Visual Studio Community 2015 Version 14.0.25431.01 Update3. Which still isn't idiot proof :)

Thank you for the additional valuable information.

Cheers
Last edited on
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.