Average of grades, asks for # of grades, when I say 2, it asks for 3 grades

Hi there all! This is my first time on this forum, and I tried to solve this problem by other methods previously, but I haven't found a solution yet. In school, I am writing a program to find the average of a certain amount of grades. The number of grades is an input from the user, and the program is supposed to ask for grades ONLY until the number of times the loop executes equals the number of grades. My problem is that when I input 2 as the number of grades, the program asks me for 3 grades.

I know that we don't like homework questions on this forum, but my code is complete except for this problem and I will receive a failing grade this marking period if I don't fix this. Thank you!

This is my code:

#include <iostream>

/* run this program using the console pauser or add your own getch, system("pause") or input loop */

using namespace std;
int main()

{

int Average;
int Grades;
int Total;
int AmountGrades;
int Counter;

cout << "Enter amount of grades: ";
cin >> AmountGrades;
do
{
cout << "What is one of the grades? \n";
cin >> Grades;
Total=Total+Grades; // values CAN be = to 0 or 100
Counter++;

}
while (Counter<=AmountGrades);
cout << "The total is: " << Total << endl;
Average=(Total)/(AmountGrades);
cout << "The average of the grades is: " << Average << endl;

system ("PAUSE");
return 0; //one break here
}

Last edited on
What value does Counter have when the code tries to increment at the line Counter++;?

Same thing with Total - what value should it be initialized to before the code tries to add Grades to it for the first time?
You need to initialise the variables
    int Total = 0;
    int AmountGrades = 0;
    int Counter = 0;

otherwise they contain garbage, whatever happened to already be in that particular memory location.

check the condition of the while loop:

(Counter<=AmountGrades)

try < instead of <=
You should set counter to zero at the start of your program. I think your compiler automatically sets uninitialized variables to zero, as you aren't initializing counter. It asks for 3 grades because if counter is 1 in the beginning and you loop condition is counter <= amount, it will loop 2 times (once for counter = 1 and once for counter = 2), but as your counter is set to zero, it loops one extra time.
Last edited on
Thank you guys so much!! I just fixed it and it works perfectly :) You have saved my grade!!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.