Learning loops: decimal to binary

closed account (2hM9Nwbp)
I can't figure out why my code isn't working. I am trying to convert the users input from base 10 to binary. I went through it a few times and I just cant figure out why it isn't running properly. Any help would be much appreciated!

/* This program reads from the user a positive integer
(in decimal representation), and prints its binary (base 2).*/
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;

int main() {

int decimal, power, result, remain;

cout << "Enter decimal number:" << endl;
	cin >> decimal;

power = log(decimal)/ log(2);

while (decimal > 0) {
		result = 2 ^ power;
		remain = decimal - result;
		if (remain >= 1) {
			cout << "1";
			decimal = decimal - result;
		}
		else {
			cout << "0";
		}
		power = power - 1;
	} 
	cout << endl;
	return 0;
}
@capnrap,
I have to admit that I don't think this is a good way of doing the problem. A more common way would be to loop through looking at the end digit (decimal%2) and add character '0' or '1' at the start of a results string, followed by decimal /= 2 . Finally, print out the whole string.

However ... with your existing technique:
(1) result = 2 ^ power; doesn't do what you think it does (^ is a bitwise operator; you would need pow())
(2) Your test for looping is wrong - you should test on remaining power, not decimal, as the binary representation might end ...000 and you do need to write those zeroes.
(3) You should write a '1' if decimal/result is non-zero, not if remain >= 1 (which is usually true).
(4) log() and pow() are phenomenally expensive operations when you only need to be multiplying or dividing by 2 (which can, in fact, be accelerated by bitshifting).
(5) Consider using a separate function - you are tying down main() to just doing this single number conversion.

With the caveat that I REALLY DON'T THINK THIS IS A GOOD WAY OF DOING THE PROBLEM, minimal changes to your code are below. Note that it will only work for a number strictly greater than zero.
/* ***** This is NOT A GOOD WAY OF DOING THE PROBLEM **** */

#include <iostream>
#include <cmath>                            // you need this header for log() and pow()
using namespace std;

int main() {

int decimal, power, result;

cout << "Enter decimal number:" << endl;
	cin >> decimal;

power = log(decimal)/ log(2);            // this is clunky ... and may well fail due to floating-point round-off

while (power >= 0)                       // test on remaining positions, NOT residual number - you may have to write ...000
	{           
		result = pow(2,power);               // 2 ^ power does NOT do what you think it does
		if ( decimal / result !=0 ) {        // correct your test for a non-zero digit
			cout << "1";
			decimal = decimal - result;
		}
		else {
			cout << "0";
		}
		power = power - 1;
	} 
	cout << endl;
	return 0;
}

Last edited on
its already in binary, FYI.
you can use bit operators to peel of the bits ... it displays in base 10, but its stored in binary.

closed account (2hM9Nwbp)
Thank you so much.
I'll follow your advice and do the code the other way, but thank you for explaining why my code wasn't working.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.