Need some help with my programming assignment

The assignment:
http://voyager.deanza.edu/~bentley/cis22b/ass9.html

I've been staring at the instructions for an hour now and I still have no clue on how I should start coding. Can anyone help get me started by outlining the programming steps to solving this assignment?
Hello awong918,

Sorry I did not see this until today.

For a start I would:

Set up variables to use when reading the file.
Define the file stream for the input file.
Check that the file opened and the stream is good.
If good read the file, count the lines read (including blank lines) and check the spelling of each word, this could be a separate function.

That is one small part. From there you can expand the "ReadFile" function to do more or read the file into say a vector or "std:pair" or a vector of std:pair for later processing. This way you will not have to keep opening and closing the file to read it. Just some thoughts for getting started. You may use this to get started, but it can not be in your final program.

Next I would work on the two classes and how they will work. You should be able to find examples here with a search. The examples may not match what you are doing, but they should be close enough.

The instructions are good. All you need to know is there. It helps to break it down into smaller pieces.

Hope that helps,

Andy
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.