I need a little help

Hi there, i tried for a lot of time to do a project for my college but for me it sounds fkin impossible since i have to combine C++ with Access and do some stupid things, i tried finding tutorials around here and across the internet and i couldn't do a damn thing.
The problem sounds like this: You must do the scan of some tables one by one. To scan every column with every column, skipping the unknown keys, and the booleans. For every numeric column and calendar date i must verify if it exists a domain constraint associated or not. For type text(short text) columns i must calculate whatțs the length in instant of the data base for those strings, to see if the next multiple of 2 este smaller than the max length declared and if it's yes, wwe must propose to user the possibility to restrict the max length to that ( lengthmax=255, the biggest string is 18, the user would want to restrict to 2^5(32) ). Any other system-dependent data types are ignored.

Cheers !
It's a complicated task. Didn't they give you any hints?
What are you allowed to use ?

If you can use .NET have a look here. It shows how to get table and column names from a MS Access database which would be the first step.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4443191/how-do-i-extract-table-names-from-ms-access-database-using-ado#answer-4469174
with Access

MS Access database?

The "some stupid things" are utterly trivial, and similar to:
* For each value in array A, do check if array B has that value
* Find maximum value from array
I do hope that that part is not the impossible.

Trivial homework reads data from standard input.
The next level reads data from file.
You have data in a file that is in Access format.
You can't/shouldn't attempt to read such file directly.
Access must provide some API, i.e. libraries/functions that you can call in C++ code. Word "ODBC" might relate to that.

If you have been given a project that includes Access, then surely the use of Access has been shown before that?
? Use c++ to muck with access!?

I thought that is what it's VBScript is for. Not c++. Question your instructor proptly!!!
I thought that is what it's VBScript is for

VBScript is for web pages and there it is only supported by IE. Mayb you meant VB ?

On Windows you can use C++ for Office apps but it requires either frameworks like .NET, MFC or COM
Not just on Windows. Qt framework has SQL module that (presumably) supports multiple platforms. Besides, I'm quite sure I've set up odbc on Linux for some (third party) application.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4051147/odbc-driver-use-in-qt
oh thank you for your answers. they haven't gave me any fkin hints also i haven't made c++ for a while(3-4 years)
He doesn't want to answer my questions he only told me good luck. :/ That's the mentality in romania of our teachers.
and yes i can use .NET
That's the mentality in romania of our teachers.

Sorry to hear that, but it's not only in Romania.
Seems that many "teachers" nowadays only want to give assignments and grade them, but are not interested in teaching. :-(
Oops yes I just meant Visual Basic. Thanks.
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.