larger numbers wont print out correctly

So i have a problem where large numbers wont print out correctly. I tried debugging and the number is said to be 657901841 it is gotten from adding all numbers together in a for loop. However when i tried to output the result it would output as -2147483648. I will only post part of the code where it is having the problem because its too long.

for (int i = 0; i < 8; i++) {      //Adds total together

TimeTotal += NTimeTotal[i];
		StepTotal += NStepTotal[i];
	}

cout << StepTotal << endl;

So when i tried to print out the number it would give it as a negative stated above. It is really weird because when i played around it a few days ago, it didnt have this problem at all. I dont even remember changing the code around. But now, its surprisingly giving me this error. Any fix for this? I have tried using fixed , setprecision etcc.. No luck ;(. Thanks for any help!
Hi,

The value is probably too large for an int, try changing the type of StepTotal to long int

Read about the basic types here:
https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/types
i have tried that still the same ;(

EDIT: i tried unsigned long int and it fixes the negative number problem but wrong console output compared to the debugger version
Last edited on
Was StepTotal initialised properly? If it wasn't, it could be some large random value. Also show the code where the values are put into the array.

In short make a small compilable program that demonstrates the problem.

Does your program run? If so consider using a debugger.
I think i fixed it! thanks for the help!
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.