What is umlaut in turbo C?

Hi again guys! I am looking for the info about these the umlaut A, exponent 3 and that upside down question mark. Do you have any idea about these? When i open it in turbo c i don't see anything like this but when i open it in notepad it shows also i encounter it from a certain book.
 gotoxy(12,8);cout<<"Ã"<<"Ä"<<"Ä"<<"´";                      
 gotoxy(12,9);cout<<"³";                                   
 gotoxy(15,6);cout<<"Å"<<"Ä"<<"Ä"<<"¿";
The issue is the encoding of these extended letters. There are several codings possible like UTF-8 (preferable), UTF-16, ANSI, etc.

Whether you see them in a certain text editor depends on the ability to recognize them.
The console especially under windows is rather limited in this regard.
Something like this:
for(int i=0; (char)i+1 != (char)0; i++) { cout << i << ' ' << (char) i << '\n'; }

will tell you the characters you can print using cout in that compiler.
Turbo C goes back to DOS where there character sets were handled using code pages. You can only use one at a time (which is why Unicode exists). So, you'd need to select the correct code page configure the system to use that.

I don't know how you'd do it now, running on a modern Windows.
alternately you can write the output to a unicode text file or whatever by direct byte maniuplation, if its only a few symbols. Then your text editor can display it even if the console output is off. I wouldn't want to try to do that for like all the letters in an oriental language, but if its just one or two off english letters, it won't be too bad. Even easier, you could write HTML output, if you don't want to do the barbaric byte thing.
Last edited on
jonnin you mean like launching a web browser for output? That's actually not a bad idea..
Topic archived. No new replies allowed.